Cutting plywood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisAB

Reaction score
I have made a cabinet to cover my electric meter but i need to make a door to open to read the meter can you give me advice on how to cut a square out of the centre of the 18mm plywood sheet to make a door.
TIA
Chris.

If you have a plunge saw you can use that. Any other technique is going to look a bit rough.
From personal experience a door cut out in the middle of a panel always looks a bit naff.

If you have a plunge saw you can use that. Any other technique is going to look a bit rough.
From personal experience a door cut out in the middle of a panel always looks a bit naff.
Thanks for reply looks like i know what my next tool will be. Birthday soon so guess what the answear is if the kids ask what i want as a present.

I had to cut out a panel this week for a recessed part of a workshop cabinet, I think this is the sort of thing you’re trying to do.

I used a flush trim router bit and then used the inside shape as a template. You could just make a square shape to act as your template and temporarily fix it to the other side for the trim router bit to reference on.

I didn’t want to use the cut out as a door - but if you were precise with the first hole you drill you could probably do it. Obviously the door will be slightly smaller than the opening though because of the material lost in routing.

Attachments

• 4F660759-BAAB-4D2A-9C1D-BC0D9FF44A87.jpeg
    4F660759-BAAB-4D2A-9C1D-BC0D9FF44A87.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • BD73211D-9006-4261-BFD4-915E16AD1464.jpeg
    BD73211D-9006-4261-BFD4-915E16AD1464.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Sorry I thought you had made a cabinet to go around your meter and now wanted to put a door on it but it seems that you have covered your meter with a box and now want to put a door in it.

The reason is that is where the meter is, and i need to get to it to read the meter.
Why such a big hole to read the meter, you could have a much smaller orrifice that by shining a torch you can read the meter and then a simple decoration that covers your hole, something like the item that hides some keyholes.

Why such a big hole to read the meter, you could have a much smaller orrifice that by shining a torch you can read the meter and then a simple decoration that covers your hole, something like the item that hides some keyholes.
What you don’t realise when you box your meter in with just a small door to access it for reading is that one day the supply company will say it’s end of life and need to change it. How do I know this???
Unboxing mine would have been a nightmare. I cut out out a hole for a second door beside the first using a small reciprocating saw and tidied it with small plane etc. The cut-out I edged with a simple frame.
It’s not brilliant but it’s a tucked away location. And now I have a new smart meter.

What you don’t realise when you box your meter in with just a small door to access it for reading is that one day the supply company will say it’s end of life and need to change it. How do I know this???
Unboxing mine would have been a nightmare. I cut out out a hole for a second door beside the first using a small reciprocating saw and tidied it with small plane etc. The cut-out I edged with a simple frame.
It’s not brilliant but it’s a tucked away location. And now I have a new smart meter.
That is just what i was thinking. i wanted to make it so if the electrician needs to get to the meter he can.

Made a lift off box for mine years ago with a small perspex window to read the meter- if ever the elec company want to replace it, they still have full access and no damage or repairs necessary

Back