Cutting out the panels in an exterior wooden door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dance

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this within the realms of sane? I'd love to cut out the top two panels in my old exterior wooden front door and replace with stained glass. I have a plunge saw and was going to do it this way and then I thought about the near certain presence of nails/pins so decided a multi tool might be the better option, if much more time consuming...

What do you guys think? Sane? Insane? I'm a hobbyist.

Attachments

• 61YP+LD73WL._SY355_.jpg
    61YP+LD73WL._SY355_.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 61
  • painted-double-door-sash-window-amended.jpg
    painted-double-door-sash-window-amended.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 61
I did similar with mine about a year ago. It was one of those Carolina doors, fielded panels with a semicircle of 4 glass panels at the top. Completely unsuited to our Victorian house. I took the door off, cut down the sides of the panel with my track saw (finishing off the last bit with hand saw), then routed a groove in the edges of the cut out bit. I had a piece of walnut worktop spare which was exactly the same depth as the door. I then routed a stopped groove in the edges of that and used a glued loose tongue to slide the piece into the top of the door. Sounds complicated but actually very straightforward.

371FD37B-BB9D-4ADD-8787-BA96FC9ACB95.jpeg

Attachments

• 371FD37B-BB9D-4ADD-8787-BA96FC9ACB95.jpeg
    371FD37B-BB9D-4ADD-8787-BA96FC9ACB95.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 54
Back