cutting list

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd only used that cutlist on single sheet projects before, and it seemed OK. But once the number of parts and sheets goes up it can't cope. I think this does reinforce how good the human eye is at pattern matching for this sort of thing.

Boz (mostly human)

I use Microsoft Publisher when laying out for sheet materials - just like using cut out pieces of paper and graph paper and jiggling them all to fit. It works for me (probably because I know the software)

Misterfish

Just came across this thread. I am trying to optimise the process myself, I do a lot of custom shelving and cabinets in MDF, which I get cut at Arnold Lavers.

I use sketchup to design the items down to mm detail, made up of separate components (usually 18mm MDF). I name the components as I make them. I then draw a 1220 x 2440 rectangle and drag and copy each component onto it, rotating them into the horizontal plane where necessary. I can then easily label each component with 1 click of the annotate tool (it keeps the name i gave it), and run dimensions along the edge using the dimension tool. I then save this as a pdf for each sheet and email it to arnold lavers for cutting.

I have started using the free cutlist ruby script plugin for sketchup. It took me a while to figure it out, but I got it working and I have 2 observations:

- like other software mentioned above, it doesn't minimise wastage as well as I can by manually arranging the parts in sketchup.
- Annoyingly it doesn't show the dimensions on the layout diagram - you have to refer back to the list of dimensions for each item.

However, it is a quick way to get an estimate of sheets needed for quoting.

Thought i might revive this thread as im just planning some sheet cutting lists. I wondered if any of you have progressed with this over the past 4 years?

Ive tried a couple of android apps the best of which ive found so far is called sketch cut lite, it seemed to optimise the sheet use for wast well but i cant get it t export the plans as yet, it is free though!

Also tried nestpack, which has a great interface and even shows the best order in which to make the cuts, but it doesnt optimise the marital use very well and its a paid app

Im quite happy to pay for something reliable, any suggestions?

Thanks, Mark.

Sorry, you didn't say how much you'd use it (or if you did I missed it!)
I think there is a free extension for Sketchup that does cutlists - I'll take a look later and report back.

The Sketchup plugin I was thinking of is called Cutmap. It's currently free. Don't know how good it is though, so probably not very helpful.

you can still get cutlist 4.1 free for sketchup and it works in sketchup 16 (but you have to tell sketchup to manually import it as it wont work automatically - google how). That is good enough for sheet layouts as long as the components have sheet materials assigned to them and are in an axis plane (e.g. if the side of a pitched roof the thickness will not be 18mm so it will assign a sheet material as thick as the 'box' sketchup takes). Cutlist is still good though for exporting to CSV.
I saw on a forum that the author of cutlist 4.1 had died hence why no recent updates to integrate direct with later sketchups

Sketchup 16 does have an inventory tool (not sure if that is in the pro as I'm still in my 30day trial period) - but I found that when I had multiple components the same (e.g. from a copy command) the inventory still listed each separately as qty1.

PS I still use optilik - I use the cutlist CSV as the start

Dave

Zeddedhed":29fnla3e said:
Sorry, you didn't say how much you'd use it (or if you did I missed it!)
I think there is a free extension for Sketchup that does cutlists - I'll take a look later and report back.

OOPS my bad!

Thanks for the info guys, lots to try out there, ill give it all a go and see how it goes.

Mark-numbers":11c82y79 said:
http://www.maxcutsoftware.com

Very good

+1 for Maxcut.

From the website:

Community Edition is free and contains all the features necessary for a hobbyist or business starting out to generate accurate cutting diagrams, estimates and costings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back