Cutting compound angles on mitre saw, lots of tearout...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying to cut a piece of oak so I end up with a 114mm long piece with both ends having a compound angle (18 degs rotation and blade 30 degs leaned over to left), I cut the first one fine but then when I slide the piece up to cut the 2nd cut (it's the offcut I'm keeping) I'm getting lots of tearout.

I made a zero clearance, sacrificial fence out of MDF but doesn't seem to have helped much (i might have a tiny bit of play in right side of fence)

When cutting on a mitre saw, should you always have the offcut free to move? It's awkward to hold the piece being cut due to odd angles. I was thinking of getting some toggle clamps to do the job but is it bad practise to clamp down both sides of the workpiece while it's been cut in the middle? Will it pinch the blade etc?

First cut nice
2upvcrn.jpg

Second cut ropey
nl4l21.jpg

OscarG":33aroewj said:
When cutting on a mitre saw, should you always have the offcut free to move? It's awkward to hold the piece being cut due to odd angles. I was thinking of getting some toggle clamps to do the job but is it bad practise to clamp down both sides of the workpiece while it's been cut in the middle? Will it pinch the blade etc?

You should only ever secure one side. That's why mitre saws come with only one cramp. A kickback on a mitre saw will scare the pants off you, and sooner or later you'll get a kick back if you cramp on both sides of the blade.

Thanks! Thought it seemed dodgy, glad I checked with you guys!

I think if I flip the board upside down after cutting first cut I could do 2nd cut the same way (clamping left side only). Bloody hell, why couldn't I have figured that out yesterday while at the saw?? silly person! :oops:

custard":1xnouwsn said:
OscarG":1xnouwsn said:

You should only ever secure one side. That's why mitre saws come with only one cramp. A kickback on a mitre saw will scare the pants off you, and sooner or later you'll get a kick back if you cramp on both sides of the blade.

I didn't know this! .. and would have probably clamped on both sides at some point.

Back