Cutting box/finger joints on a bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Stig

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere that I can get a gig or how I can make a jig to cut box/finger joints on my bandsaw?

Is the bandsaw the right saw to be using? A thin blade would mean multiple cuts to remove the waste. A router table would probably be an easier and quicker way.
Just my thoughts tho.

Well I'm not supposed to tell you, but as this is a solution to a direct question...

First of all how many fingers are we talking about? Do you mean finger joint as in a box, or finger joint as in a window frame, for example. My bandsaw jig will do both, but I'm the first to admit that it is not the most sensible option for boxes. Possible yes, accurate, yes, efficient, no. Jig for the router table is a much better option. I have a video on YouTube showing one that works well.

If you mean a finger joint as in a multiple bridle joint as used in window frame manufacture, then that is a different matter. You are not going to get the depth of cut necessary on a router table. And as you are probably planning a 3-and-2 finger joint for such a situation, a bandsaw is a perfectly sensible choice in the home workshop. Accurate and reasonably quick, too.

You'll have to follow the link in my signature to find out more, or drop me an email.

Cheers
Steve

I'm talking about finger joint for boxes but I'm only going to be making two or three boxes. Unfortunately I no longer have a router table, if I did I'd be to do them on that, I'm not worried if the bandsaw is more time consuming as long as the jobs done properly.

Go on Steve do tell.

How do you remove the middle parts to make the fingers?

Multiple cuts or handtools?

Gary":2460vnqw said:
Go on Steve do tell.

How do you remove the middle parts to make the fingers?

Multiple cuts or handtools?

Well I use a chisel and a mallet!

The UBTJ cuts the cheeks, it's not a bottoming out tool.
S

Thanks for that Steve, I thought I may have been missing something really obvious. ](*,)

Back