cutting beads on platters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shay Vings

Established Member
Reaction score
Any tips on how best to turn small beads on the face of platters/bowls?. I'm not getting on well with spindle gouges and skews. Maybe a special tool is required? I would like the apex of the bead to be flush with the adjacent platter rim, not standing proud.

There is a beading tool but if you make the platter flat then use a skew rolling over with the tip from the apex of tbhe bed.

pete

I also use a 3 point tool, though the name is a little misleading. Its actually a single point with 3 faces ground like a triangular pyramid, that is if I have the correct name in the first place!!!!!

Mike C

Shay, not knowing any better when I started (about a month on the slope) I used a 1/2" skew to cut the initial Vee's and then placed it on it's side and used it like a sharp edged scraper to round the bead.

Not as elegant as using a three flat point tool or sharp pointed gouge but it works fine on all but very loose grained woods.

DSC00637.JPG

DSC00631.JPG

Thanks for the advice and especially the link to a home made tool. I would like to try this but I cannot find anyone local (Cambridge) who stocks 9mm HSS rod or blank lathe tools. I can get silver steel (£3.60/ft) but I assume that would lose its temper every time I sharpen it?. Any ideas on a sources of HSS?

You could temper the silver steel yourself. Making the point tool is on my tuit list and I've got the steel in the workshop. Chas has a couple of guides on tempering IIRC

Shay Vings":y3p0s3f8 said:
Thanks for the advice and especially the link to a home made tool. I would like to try this but I cannot find anyone local (Cambridge) who stocks 9mm HSS rod or blank lathe tools. I can get silver steel (£3.60/ft) but I assume that would lose its temper every time I sharpen it?. Any ideas on a sources of HSS?

give ashley isles a ring they will post it to you at a very reasonable rate

I made a couple of three point tools in different diameters in silver steel.

Just harden and temper them yourself as said and the only sharpening they need is an occasional tickle with a fine diamond hone or quick rub on a stone of some kind. Would take loads of use to need a regrind, in which case temper it again, but wouldn't be any time soon.

Cheers, Paul :D

Henry Taylor beading tools work very well, even on softwood when used with a fresh edge, and come in a range of sizes. They produce a cleaner more regular bead than any other tool/method I've tried.

The Hamlet beading tool doesn't perform quite as well but has the plus that it'll do most of the shaping of a captive ring

Latest posts

Back