Cutting 40x6 flat bar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelina69

Reaction score
We make our own brackets using 40x6 flat bar and cut them to length with an evolution chop saw. We do quite a lot but we are spending a lot on the blades and at £70 a throw we are going through 2/3 a week.
Any suggestions on cheaper/faster/easier ways to cut these these to lebgth?

I’m assuming your talking about metal. You need a cold saw, it’s a far more robust slow running chop saw. You use HSS blades in hand operated machines or if the volume suggests it an automatic saw which would typically use carbide saws. I have a hand operated cold saw, and use a HSS blade in it. With coolant it lasts a long time and is around £10 to resharpen

Metal cutting saws run much slower that a chop saw, they also have a coolant feed.
I would have though with a chop saw you would get sparks, literally.

cheap horizontal band saw

1645098674542.png
1645098674542.png
1645098674542.png

If you're doing that sort of quantity either a cold saw or bandsaw. With respect to Lazarus, don't buy a mega cheap bandsaw. Get something with flood coolant, it makes blades last much longer. I refurbished my old taiwanese one during lockdown with new guide bearings and blade and coolant nozzle, its still on the same blade nearly 2 years later and just about ready for a new one.

have both a metal cutting bandsaw with coolant. Use tuff saw blades with 5%cobalt/Hss..
that lasts for ever....I cut solid round up to 75mm and 10"x 8-10mm plate all the time....
u can even walk away and leave the machine to do it's thing...
also have the biggest Evolution chop saw for the quick jobs...still on my first blade...
noisy and sparky but could not be without it....
For u, go the bandsaw route with coolant....very adapatable and quiet....

Or if you can put up with the slower cut speed an old wicksteed donkey saw will just keep going

Back