Cutting 12 mm balsa wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboboyo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
hi guys, Im making an rc boat witch requires 12mm balsa wood, was wondering the best practice for cutting/shaping it? would a craft knife be able to handle the 12mm thickness?

Swan Morton used/still make a very fine saw blade for just that sort of job, still using mine after about fifty years of model aircraft building.

Yup, along the grain, especially if it's not quarter grain, a Swann Morton scalpel with a fresh blade, 2 or 3 cuts, all made against a steel straight edge, if necessary, held in place with a couple of pieces for double-sided tape. Make sure to keep the knife vertical for each cut.

If quarter grain, or cutting cross grain, a scroll saw is ideal, either hand or a machine.

When cutting with a scalpel and ruler Watch out for that thumb ;)
I cringe when I see so called experts on TV using a steel rule. For about £4 invest in a Maun safety rule and a proper cutting mat. :rolleyes:

I cringe when I see so called experts on TV using a steel rule. For about £4 invest in a Maun safety rule and a proper cutting mat. :rolleyes:

Really NOT a huge problem, WITH care. As post above, "kids" have been doing this stuff for nigh on a hundred years now, and a majority of thumbless ex-teenagers are conspicuous by their absence. See the tip above about a couple of bits of double-sided sticky tape, and do NOT rush the cut. Easy peasy! AND BTW, I do NOT consider myself any sort of "expert", but have lost count of the number of times I've done that sort of cutting - SAFELY. :)

But "cutting mat"? Yup

Unless he's going to do a HUGE amount, from the cost viewpoint alone, isn't that an elephant to crack a nut? People have been cutting thick balsa "by hand" since it was 1st used for model aero - 1920's/30's
You'll be telling us next Festool is no good.

Unless he's going to do a HUGE amount, from the cost viewpoint alone, isn't that an elephant to crack a nut? People have been cutting thick balsa "by hand" since it was 1st used for model aero - 1920's/30's
For sure but often the cry of “what tool” is a subconscious appeal to justify buying something nice

For sure but often the cry of “what tool” is a subconscious appeal to justify buying something nice

Ah yeah. NOW you're talking! But if the OP has anything like the difficulties I have with justifying purchases to the domestic authority, then I guess he's min BIG trouble trying to justify the cost of a laser cutter just to cut a bit of 12mm balsa. :)

But IF he CAN swing it, then he'd better let us all into his secret.

But my OH knows I am the sole of discretion and alway speak the truth. 🤔

The secret is to not let your OH know, just say "what you mean this thing I'v had it age's". 😇
Yes I have certainly used the, "Oh you mean that old thing, had it for years". But you can be undone by technology, hadn't realised until recently that my nectar points are shared with the boss, so the conversation goes " what have you been buying? ", "who, me?" , "yes you, I suddenly have 200 extra nectar points, so what have you been buying?". Well and truly captured :oops:

Back