Balsa RC boat finishing question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roboboyo

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys I’m in the process of building this rc balsa wood boat, was wondering how to finish it before painting, fiberglass? Or ………

Will I need to do the whole boat or just the parts that come in contact with the water?

Attachments

• FC7640E4-5F93-4A49-A146-BE5A17013C42.png
    FC7640E4-5F93-4A49-A146-BE5A17013C42.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Remembering back to my distant childhood. I used to use sanding sealers and something called 'banana oil' before painting.

You could use an old sheet and paint would give a bit of strength. Classic boats use cotton and titebond on the decks!

For strength coat the hull with dope and tissue then sand and paint after that liberally coat inside and out with polyurethane varnish. Make sure it gets into every nook and crannie as the water will if it can.

Gerry

Hi guys I’m in the process of building this rc balsa wood boat, was wondering how to finish it before painting, fiberglass? Or ………

Will I need to do the whole boat or just the parts that come in contact with the water?
What's the power source? If battery then it's largely personal choice. If it's a glow engine the finish needs to be fuel proof. Tissue and dope work, as does fibreglass. Varnishes are something of a crapshoot so test first.

Yes, used to be banana oil in my youth, a cellulose acetate based “varnish”, for inside the hull for waterproofing and sanding sealer on the outside as a base for the desired paint finish.

Back