Curvy Oak Kitchen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I have just got around to photographing an Oak kitchen I finished a few months ago. The frames and doors are all in solid european oak apart from the panels of the curved units which are oak veneer on 4 layers of 1.5mm birch ply. Carcasing is Winchester Oak MFC egger board.

Views of kitchen

Oak-01.jpg

Oak-02.jpg

Oak-03.jpg

Close up details. The kitchen has beaded face frames and the doors hung on butt hinges. The handles are solid pewter.

Oak-05.jpg

Close up of curved unit. Drawers are on Blum tandem soft close runners.

Oak-04.jpg

Over the other side is a larder/booze storage unit

Oak-06.jpg

Oak-07.jpg

The kitchen took about 8 weeks to make including installation.

Cheers

Jon

Very nice Jon. 8 weeks looks like good going for that job.

I've used those handles before - did you find that they all had to be re-shaped slightly? On the ones I used, each handle had very slightly differing centres for the screws. Thankfully, Pewter is easily manipulated by hand, so it was just a case of tweaking each one.

Cheers

Karl

mmmmmm I do love curves ;)

Very pro job there. Love it.

Thanks for the comments guys much appreciated.

Karl some of the handles were a little misshaped but as you say they are easy to give a tweak to pull them into line.

Jon

very nice work - i'll have to hide it from swimbo or get a lot better at woodwork than i am now ;)

Eight weeks is an amazing turnaround time for a kitchen like that. How many of you worked on it? I did a far lesser kitchen recently and shared the time with another cabinet maker and it took longer than eight weeks. If you say you did it on your own I won't believe you! :wink:

Hi Brad / Ross my Dad helps me out in the workshop when required which is pretty much full time :wink:

Jon

Jonny D beautiful work can i ask did the internal curved doors cause any problems i cant work out how that door clears the frame. cheers john c

John C":3nhk8ofb said:
Jonny D beautiful work can i ask did the internal curved doors cause any problems i cant work out how that door clears the frame. cheers john c

Hi John the internal doors are a bit of a pain to fit. The external ones arent too bad. To get the door to clear the frame you have to put a large sloping edge on the door as in this pic.

door.jpg

I generally get the top and bottom to fit and then keep planing the edge away until it clears the frame using the jointer and final finishing with a handplane.

Colin I usually call it a bead not sure whether this is technically correct or not.

Jon

Smart work Jonny. How did you do the curved bull-nose along the top - solid spindle-work?

Latest posts

Back