Curved Panel Kitchen Doors...(((WIP with pictures)))

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenpin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

i'm making curved doors on my shaker style in frame kitchen project and have hit a snag.
iv'e made the rails and styles by laminating 6 strips of maple in a jig and this has worked v.well but now i'm making up the centre panels.

iv'e taken 6mm veneered mdf 25" x 21" panel and have kerfed the back 3mm deep spaced 8mm apart to allow the panel to form round the rails and styles...just like flexy mdf...
now releasing the tension on the back veneer has caused the panel to curve in the opposite direction to the curve i need...well iv'e knackered one panel just trying to bend it back....

Question...
can i wet the front veneer with distilled water to soften it before fitting it to the panel door frame...if so how long do i leave it wet before attempting to bend it

Thanks
Nick

Hi Nick,
you might find that wetting it makes the panel bend even more in the wrong direction as you are effectivley making the one side larger with swelling etc. I have never curfed a door panel, but i have used flexy ply with and then veneered it. I dont konw if this an option? I cant think of a way of making sure that you panel will bend and stay in the right position, plus water and MDF dont really mix.

I watched Norm bend a veneer panel and glue and tack it in place when he built a highboy, he glued a cotton backing to the veneer then sprayed it with distilled water and it actually started to curve in the right direction in front of the camera.
Rich.

I wouldn't kerf the panel, i would use bendy ply, 1mm ply or if you can get hold of it 0.8mm ply, the veneer the outside and inside of the panel, I would also use cascamite or a similar glue urea formaldahite glue this will be alot more rigid than a pva in this application.

Hope it goes well, look forward to seeing it finished.

Rob

Hey Guys

thanks for the advice
i decided to give the wetting a try on a spare test piece i had kerfed...it lossened the board quite conciderably and it bent back the opposite way on it's own. 8)
i left it around 10mins and then managed to put the door together...it's clamped up safe and sound overnight.....

fingers crossed it looks like it may well work...famous last words :roll: :roll:
i won't get to look at it again till late tommorow as i have an early drive up country but if all looks good i will take some pictures of my efforts and post for all to see....

Thanks
Nick

Well,

managed over the long weekend etc to get the doors totally made up and fitted so thought i'd put up some pictures of my attempt.
As a total novice woodworker with only 2 years woodshop at school and my man "Norm" :norm: on Discovery channel here is my offering....i am really pleased with the outcome so far...

The dreaded curved end panel doors
made from 22mm Maple.....using shaker router bit set from Wealdon Tools...
top and bottom rails laminated with 6 laminations @ 3.4MM each...plus glue width to make 22mm....formed in homemade MDF former....AKA Norms's jig.....
Centre panel 6mm veneered mdf....back kerfed with 4mm cuts @ 7mm spacings....wetted with de-ionised water and bent to shape and fitted when door rails etc glued...panel left to float...i will be filling the back kerfs with 2 part filler to hopefully lock the panel in shape then veneer the inside for apperance
all in all i am very happy with then results....

doorframe1.jpg
door4.jpg

door2.jpg

door3.jpg
door1.jpg

Here are some earlier pictures of WIP of the kitchen also
Photo00082.jpg

Photo00094.jpg

Hi Nick, I do not know why you are watching Norm, with work like that he should be watching you =D> =D>

By the way have you got a link to the shaker router bit

Cheers

Mike

It'd be worth investing in a vacuum bag press if you plan to do more of these as its much easier to make the panels from 3mm MDF to your thickness then veneer both sides after your panel has set. Just completed one, but made it ,lipped it in solid, then veneer applied to full door, no rails.

I wish I had half your skill! Looks a job well done. keep going looks like your well on your way to finishing the kitchen.

=D>

Mike.C":1n618gob said:
Hi Nick, I do not know why you are watching Norm, with work like that he should be watching you =D> =D>

Cheers

Mike
Absolutely agree with Mikes sentiments. Love that curved door

Cheers :D
Tony

Come on Martin don't undersell yourself!!
Its only a bloody big box - all you need to do is scale up :lol: :lol:

Tenpin, thats mighty fine work there =D> =D> =D>
I'm truely envious of your skills

lemonjeff":2tjp6hem said:
What materials are you using for the carcass, doors and draws?

Carcasses are 18mm MFC...maple
Material for the doors and cupboards frames etc is Canadian Maple from my favourite place in the whole wide world...Yandles :p
Frames are pocket screwed to the carcasses...

i think i overengineered the in frame a bit as i made the frames then attached 6mm beaded trim for a rounded edge
Photo00098.jpg

what i should have done is made the rails wider and bead edged the rails
with a router bit (homer) Doh

Nick

motownmartin":2pntlo25 said:
a bit too clever for me.

Martin, trust me...if i can do it anyone can do it...

Iv'e made so many mistakes that i heated our whole house with 2 open fires this winter with off cuts...scrapped pieces...the guy @ Yandles nearly knows my first name i'm in ther so often....i have more than likely used twice...(well not really, but feels like it) the material required to get to where i am but boy, have i enjoyed myself.......this is a hobby i will definately keep going with after the house is finished......

Thanks everyone for the kind words...
i have some more updated photos that i will upload soon...i'll open a new thread though in projects for these though..

Nick

Latest posts

Back