Curry's. - Do NOT buy anything from them at the moment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dreaming? I think not. You might have had trouble but I have not had any trouble. I buy a lot of things online for my business and have not had a problem in getting refunds of both the item and postage where applicable. I know how distance selling regulations work, I sell online as part of my job.

Maybe you would like to do some research before you come here and tell me I am wrong. The information is very easy to find.
In fact, here is a very good concise version:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/distance-selling-regulations

sometime (maybe sooner than you imagine) you will be thinking back to the good old days when the consumer law you quote was in force.

I'm afraid you are, said kindly, dreaming ...try to get the return postage...eBay is a perfect example...The thing is you want your money back, they have it. They don't give a toss about you...little you. There is no enforceable obligation anywhere to return postage return costs, why would they?...The Postal service got the postage money, not the vendor unless he/she/it added some profit into the postage...which happens commonly on eBay. Amazon and Abe owe me money based on their claims but which I will never recover for goods which never arrived.
Not dreaming, I've had return postage paid a few times.

On the one occasion where an ebay vendor refused payment of return postage and refund of item price I did a charge back to my card, AIB were happy to help.

You are correct, under distance selling regulations sellers are only liable for return costs on items that are faulty or sold with a false description. If you simply do not like the item then you are responsible for the return costs.

Ah, i just had a quick look as the reason for my comment was a news story about ASOS - their policy is that if you don't like something you can return it at their expense any time during the first 28 days. It looks like this is overly generous compared to legal provisions!

I also saw that they do mention that if they suspect someone is taking the mick they'll close their account.

Dreaming? I think not. You might have had trouble but I have not had any trouble. I buy a lot of things online for my business and have not had a problem in getting refunds of both the item and postage where applicable. I know how distance selling regulations work, I sell online as part of my job.

Maybe you would like to do some research before you come here and tell me I am wrong. The information is very easy to find.
In fact, here is a very good concise version:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-ri...-contracts-regulations#returning-faulty-goods
Thanks for the advice based on your purported situation.I am speaking of facts not the theory fantasised to drive facts. The facts, of course within my panorama, are as I stated...You can how whistle whinge and wave papers at reluctant vendors and still not have your return postage returned. eBay is a prime example of shonky vendors and why would they return money they never received? The goodness of their heart?...could happen, has happened but I doubt it would be even 5% based on my exposure. Abe and Amazon...they are evaders....they just stop replying....You 'selling on line' will rush to return your postage or successfully recover postage on individual items through your claiming to know the right of it all ?....doubt it almost the the point of "pfffft" but then....with all your experience in having to return so many goods you have bought and get your postage back, I can only humbly say 'wow...good on you managing to get fact to follow theory'. I tip my hat to you.

and why would they return money they never received? The goodness of their heart?...
They are obligated to refund postage because it was part of the contract with "you" freely entered into.

"you" pay for an item to be delivered + or including postage.

If the item delivered is not as described or faulty then the contract has not been fulfilled and "you" are entitled to full reimbursement.

Check the card reader/ till display before you pay that's what its for.
1 .One complaint is use of the thermal till receipts they fade useually near end of your warranty. This is why I pay by card only, for items. I don’t bother complaining about cheap items, anything below £20 with policy “you get what you pay for” I write off. Why card? Because statement of payments from your bank is .as good as a receipt.
2. Be cool, calm and of clear thoughts what you are complaning about emphasize its the complaint is against manufacturer . Rudeness/ aggresion shows your calibre of being unfit dealing with situations in a cool manner and need to get somebody capable so your complaint is resolved quickly, friendly and amicable.
DON’T GO IN STORE GUNG-HO, OR BE ABUSIVE ON PHONE! Leave that to those who should not be on the streets on their own. Just remember its the manufacturers your complaint is directed at, not retailer, they sell on trusting what their supplier has sold them. Giving cool reported complaint allows retailer to decide if they should discontinue that product/ wharehouse.
So keep calm and your blood pressure won’t rise to a dangerous leve, and you won’t have heart attack.
And if you make a mistake admit it.
I know have been both sides, retailer and customer.

Check the card reader/ till display before you pay that's what its for.
1 .One complaint is use of the thermal till receipts they fade useually near end of your warranty. This is why I pay by card only, for items. I don’t bother complaining about cheap items, anything below £20 with policy “you get what you pay for” I write off. Why card? Because statement of payments from your bank is .as good as a receipt.
2. Be cool, calm and of clear thoughts what you are complaning about emphasize its the complaint is against manufacturer . Rudeness/ aggresion shows your calibre of being unfit dealing with situations in a cool manner and need to get somebody capable so your complaint is resolved quickly, friendly and amicable.
DON’T GO IN STORE GUNG-HO, OR BE ABUSIVE ON PHONE! Leave that to those who should not be on the streets on their own. Just remember its the manufacturers your complaint is directed at, not retailer, they sell on trusting what their supplier has sold them. Giving cool reported complaint allows retailer to decide if they should discontinue that product/ wharehouse.
So keep calm and your blood pressure won’t rise to a dangerous leve, and you won’t have heart attack.
And if you make a mistake admit it.
I know have been both sides, retailer and customer.
Pretty sure you are mistaken.
Your contract is with the retailer. At least for the first 6 months from purchase. After that your position is not so firm but still enforceable.
Agree 100% about keeping calm and standing firmly on your rights.

I think greengrass1 is saying that the complaint is about the manufacturer's goods, something that "you" and the retailer have in common (the retailer has been let down in the same way that you have), rather than suggesting that the contract or claim is with the manufacturer directly.

I think greengrass1 is saying that the complaint is about the manufacturer's goods, something that "you" and the retailer have in common (the retailer has been let down in the same way that you have), rather than suggesting that the contract or claim is with the manufacturer directly.
Possibly,
I have found it quite common in real shops as opposed to online, to be told just leave it with me and I'll contact the wholesaler/ agent/manufacturer/ importer/ uncle tom cobbly.
Without fail when I point out that the contract is between him/her and me and doesn't involve anyone else, it gets sorted.
They are at liberty to sort out with the wholesaler/ agent/manufacturer/ importer/ uncle tom cobbly themselves.

I am not criticising or being a smart @RSE but part of what I do for a living involves the application of the Consumer Rights Act and there is dated and inaccurate information in some of the previous posts in this thread.

The best explanation of the Consumer Rights Act I have seen is here:

consumer-rights-refunds-exchange

Most people do not know just how well protected we are in the UK.

This link also explains the benefits of having used a credit card for purchases between £100 and £30k if you find something goes wrong with a purchase.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/section75-protect-your-purchases/

My nearest town has two what were "main" streets that are on quite steep hills. The road that bisects them is virtually flat and are minor, badly laid out (messes of) streets. Common sense would tell anyone the flat streets should be the main streets, but many of the roads were built to align with an estate that held nearly all the land three, four, five, six hundred years ago with London.
Towns and cities were not designed and built to suit 2020 and will have to be changed.

I've spent plenty of times in US towns & cities built on the grid system & supposedly far superior.
Believe me; the traffic is just as screwed up as it is in Nottingham, Newark or Newcastle.

1 .One complaint is use of the thermal till receipts they fade useually near end of your warranty.

???

I have thousands of thermal receipt copies going back a decade (part of my business records) & they're all still legible.

You are correct, under distance selling regulations sellers are only liable for return costs on items that are faulty or sold with a false description. If you simply do not like the item then you are responsible for the return costs.

Which, for once, is how it should be, IMO

Which, for once, is how it should be, IMO

Yes I have always thought that was a pretty fair solution to the issue of distance selling. It seems most clothing companies go above and beyond this offering free returns for any reason. Probably the only way that kind of business can work though. I don't like buying clothes online personally, too much hassle, I would much rather go into a shop, try it on, inspect it and walk out knowing I have the item I want and that fits, currently of course you can't even do that.

Quote from today's Daily Mail

"Remember to brush up on your rights

If you buy online you are entitled to a 14 day cooling off period. This means you can return the item within this time frame (starting the day after you receive it) for whatever reason & get a full refund.
This includes the cost of postage when you send it back." etc, etc.

If you buy online you are entitled to a 14 day cooling off period. This means you can return the item within this time frame (starting the day after you receive it) for whatever reason & get a full refund.

That's incorrect though, you are not entitled to return postage if you just changed your mind, only the cost of the original postage to send it to you.

Does this come from the distance selling regulations. and only applicable to certain goods and services?

If that were true of all sales, I could order a new saw, router, plane for a project do the job in a week and send it back for a full refund + postage both ways.

I don't think so.

Back