Someone has spent £4000 on my debit card...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't mention s 75 of the Consumer Credit Act as this only applies to credit cards.

The magic words are "unauthorised transaction" and "outside my mandate". In other words, the bank has no right to debit your account unless you authorised it. This makes it the bank's problem, not Amazon's.

That said, if the deliveries were made to your address, I could see why the bank is unconvinced you didn't authorise the payments. But it's for the bank to show you authorised the payments, by showing you that the card and CRV number on the back were used, which is evidence they'd have to get from Amazon.

I wouldn't waste your time with Amazon - make the bank do that! So long as you are sure someone in your house didn't use your card, in which case you have a different problem.

El Barto":353otf6a said:
The card has been cancelled so that’s good. I have already been on the phone to Lloyd’s twice today, both times advised to speak to Amazon. SO I’m going to try and do that and then at least I have something to bring back to LLoyd’s...

You have to accept Lloyds or any bank will only look after their interests. Sending you chasing your tail with Amazon is them doing just that. Don't fall for it. Stick to your guns. It's (assuming no hidden\archived orders somewhere in your account) it's fraudulent use of your Visa debit card.

The standard SOP is for the bank to deal with it, not to ask the account holder to contact a retailer. Make a note of the call time\date & person you spoke to if you can remember who they were. Asking an account holder to chase down fraudulent transactions and deal with retailers - I genuinely don't think the FOS will look kindly upon that.

If the person on the phone doesn't want to stop reading from their script - ask to speak their supervisor.

Whilst the bank will be careful not to lie, do not assume for a minute what they say is the gospel.

profchris":3sc2sqyy said:
I wouldn't mention s 75 of the Consumer Credit Act as this only applies to credit cards.
Forgot that bit. Sorry.

The magic words are "unauthorised transaction" and "outside my mandate". In other words, the bank has no right to debit your account unless you authorised it. This makes it the bank's problem, not Amazon's.

Yep -them's the magic words. Even "fraudulent unauthorized transaction" is good. LOL

That said, if the deliveries were made to your address, I could see why the bank is unconvinced you didn't authorise the payments. But it's for the bank to show you authorised the payments, by showing you that the card and CRV number on the back were used, which is evidence they'd have to get from Amazon.

I wouldn't waste your time with Amazon - make the bank do that! So long as you are sure someone in your house didn't use your card, in which case you have a different problem.

The OP said his Amazon account shows no trace (archived or otherwise) of those transaction (and I'm assuming no one at home has used his card) - and he can provide his order history to show those disputed purchases weren't on his account.

At that point - Lloyds have to do the refund (maybe limited to 120 days) and then they deal with Amazon.

El-barto - whatever you do don't fall for the bait of you chasing up Amazon. That's a hiding to nothing.

I had a problem with unauthorised payments being taken via my debit card. Lloyds accepted they were fraudulent, refunded the money and cancelled the card. The next month one of the payments was repeated despite the card having been cancelled and a new card issued. I had not even used the new card. So the new card was cancelled and another one issued but again a payment was taken the following month, a third card is issued. It turned out that the payment was a repeating payment for a TV channel subscription which went out even when the card changed. They did sort it out eventually but the amounts involved were trivial compared with yours.

Good luck trying to sort it out I must have spent the best part of a day on the phone over a period of a few months despite fraud being accepted on day one.

Sorry to hear about this, Barto - really horrible and stressful.
HappyHacker":g9fbbzsl said:
I had a problem with unauthorised payments being taken via my debit card. Lloyds accepted they were fraudulent, refunded the money and cancelled the card.
I had the same - it was the bank that pointed out the issue to me (I'd not noticed) and they didn't even mention me having to contact the businesses that had sold the goods/ services the money had paid for. I'm sure it's fair enough for the bank to want amazon to look into it, but surely it's primarily down to them to do everything they can to sort it out. It sounds like they're trying to pass the problem on, which is bad - not what I experienced at all (from another bank).

If there is no record of any of the sales with Amazon then I think pursuing Amazon for a refund will result in nothing. Even if the crooks had access to your Amazon account a record will still exist that you can view.
Some of the fraudsters these days operate some very elaborate scams and I would imagine that it would not be too difficult for them to have their CC payment authorisers to show the name Amazon when payment has been made.
I personally think it is something that the bank is aware of, my reasons are that, how does the bank know what delivery address was used? Keep on at the banks as I feel that you will be flogging a dead horse chasing Amazon who seem to genuinely know nothing about it.

Have you reported it to the police and got a crime number? Does your house insurance include the legal assistance add-on and does it cover help/advice with this sort of problem? From what I have read about previous cases, as others have said, it's down to the bank to handle money illegally taken from your account. Barclays repaid £1,400 which had mysteriously disappeared from my account some years ago but not via debit card.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a tongue in cheek way of saying you had gone out and spent £4,000 on a shiny new felder or a bucket load of festool gear.

Sadly not.....

Im very sorry to hear your troubles, I hope you get the money refunded.

RobinBHM":18x9njz3 said:
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a tongue in cheek way of saying you had gone out and spent £4,000 on a shiny new felder or a bucket load of festool gear.

Sadly not.....

I'm very sorry to hear your troubles, I hope you get the money refunded.
+1
I was waiting for the punch line as well. Sorry to hear about the theft and a lesson to all of us to be vigilant. I use Amazon, Paypal etc. at times as well but always a credit card, wouldn't dream of paying over the internet using my debit card but then I'm a bit paranoid.

RobinBHM":1yu7vn1z said:

Sadly not.....

Ha ha I wish.

After taking the advice of the forum and basically not taking no for an answer, I spent 90 minutes on the phone with Lloyds today and finally they decided to take the case as fraud and refund me for 13 months of the fraudulent transactions, so nearly the full amount. Apparently it will be with me on Monday. I'm a bit shocked to be honest!

They will now take this case up with Amazon, who will tell them if the items were sent to my house or not. This makes me a bit nervous because I don't know how sophisticated these fraudsters are. I certainly haven't received any of these goods but maybe they've tricked the system into thinking I have...

Anyway, good result for now. Thanks all, drinks are on me.

El-Barto, Really made up for you buddy! Even 400 quid isn't small change and 4k well that's certainly not.

You've checked and probably mega checked your Amazon account and there's no trace of it being hacked - i.e. no archived orders or ones that are hidden somewhere, so relax (as best you can). I suspect strongly the fraudsters have at least one other account that's been using your debit card.

Print off your order history - archived and otherwise - in case Amazon get the hump and close your account. ;)

Dibs-h":42irmvu3 said:
El-Barto, Really made up for you buddy! Even 400 quid isn't small change and 4k well that's certainly not.

You've checked and probably mega checked your Amazon account and there's no trace of it being hacked - i.e. no archived orders or ones that are hidden somewhere, so relax (as best you can). I suspect strongly the fraudsters have at least one other account that's been using your debit card.

Print off your order history - archived and otherwise - in case Amazon get the hump and close your account. ;)

Thanks pal and yes good shout about printing the order history. I shall get to that this weekend. Thanks again.

Print it to PDF - that way if need to be - you can email it to anyone that requires it or disputes it. Even print (PDF) screen shots of your account. ;)

El Barto":2mfkjwva said:
RobinBHM":2mfkjwva said:

Sadly not.....

They will now take this case up with Amazon, who will tell them if the items were sent to my house or not. This makes me a bit nervous because I don't know how sophisticated these fraudsters are. I certainly haven't received any of these goods but maybe they've tricked the system into thinking I have...

Anyway, good result for now. Thanks all, drinks are on me.

Glad to hear you've got it sorted out.

Latest posts

Back