Curry's. - Do NOT buy anything from them at the moment.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote from today's Daily Mail

"Remember to brush up on your rights

If you buy online you are entitled to a 14 day cooling off period. This means you can return the item within this time frame (starting the day after you receive it) for whatever reason & get a full refund.
This includes the cost of postage when you send it back." etc, etc.

Quoting the Daily Mail is laughable, you may as well quote the bloke in the local takeaway. The actual information is freely available.

The distance selling regulations have been superseded. They no longer apply. The Consumer Contracts Regulations are now applicable.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/34/madehttps://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/35/made
picking relevant parts out of the actual legislation:

34.—(1) The trader must reimburse all payments, other than payments for delivery, received from the consumer, subject to paragraph (10).

(2) The trader must reimburse any payment for delivery received from the consumer, unless the consumer expressly chose a kind of delivery costing more than the least expensive common and generally acceptable kind of delivery offered by the trader.

(3) In that case, the trader must reimburse any payment for delivery received from the consumer up to the amount the consumer would have paid if the consumer had chosen the least expensive common and generally acceptable kind of delivery offered by the trader.

(4) Reimbursement must be without undue delay, and in any event not later than the time specified in paragraph (5) or (6).

35.5(a)
The consumer must bear the direct cost of returning goods under paragraph (2), unless—
(a)the trader has agreed to bear those costs, or
[note there are other exceptions, but they will not generally apply]

There is more to it than these couple of extracts. Many retail's terms and conditions are more generous and will bear the costs of return postage

if that is heavy going, Which simplify it, Distance Selling Regulations (this is the out of date stuff that could be found by googling and links to the new regulations) Consumer Contracts Regulations

I wouldn't rely on the daily mail for anything- I once saw it described as a bile filled hate rag which I think was about right, although the mainline comments section is entertaining to read at times.

It's quite simple:

If you buy something and don't like it you can send it back for a full refund including original delivery, but you must pay the return postage.

If you buy something and it is faulty or not fit for purpose you can send it back and get a full refund including the cost of return postage.

Marcros you are such a spoilsport :cry:. I had gotten my hopes up for fitting the new kitchen after reading @artie 's post

It's quite simple:

If you buy something and don't like it you can send it back for a full refund including original delivery, but you must pay the return postage.

as a minimum, the retailer may have a policy of covering the return postage.

as a minimum, the retailer may have a policy of covering the return postage.

I cannot agree with that, I'm afraid.
It would be great in an ideal world, but it is just too open to abuse.
All this could be simple, if the human race could just behave itself.
Returning something you have chosen, that has no faults, but that you don't like,
or have changed your mind, is grossly unfair on the seller.
I also think that, in the case of abusive returns, the buyer should also bear the
outward transport costs.
Only my opinion .....

Returning something you have chosen, that has no faults, but that you don't like,
I also think that, in the case of abusive returns, the buyer should also bear the
outward transport costs.
Only my opinion .....

And mine 👴

outward transport costs.
Only my opinion .....

my quote was badly worded. What I meant was that what roschach said is correct, but the retailer may choose to do more than the law allows, and that it is worth checking. This is their own free choice, they dont have to do this by law but have worked out that it helps them to sell more. I think this will change for abusive returners at some point.

I dont know what you disagree with, it is fact. for example:

https://www.debenhams.com/wcsstore/DebenhamsUKSite/faq/returns_exchanges_and_refunds/returns.htmlhttps://help-uk.newlook.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015244452-How-do-I-return-my-order-
just a couple that I googled.

Whatever your opinion that is how the law stands at the moment and personally I think it is a fair compromise.

my quote was badly worded. What I meant was that what roschach said is correct, but the retailer may choose to do more than the law allows, and that it is worth checking. This is their own free choice, they dont have to do this by law but have worked out that it helps them to sell more. I think this will change for abusive returners at some point.

I dont know what you disagree with, it is fact. for example:

https://www.debenhams.com/wcsstore/DebenhamsUKSite/faq/returns_exchanges_and_refunds/returns.htmlhttps://help-uk.newlook.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015244452-How-do-I-return-my-order-
just a couple that I googled.

I think that we are probably saying the same thing.
If a retailer chooses to offer more than is legally required, then good on them.
I suppose that I'm just concerned that too much power can be given to the consumer,
which can be, predictably IMO, abused.
It's already hard enough to make a profit these days.
Equally, the consumer should have a certain protection from the unscrupulous.
For the record, I'm an absolute consumer. I rarely sell anything, as my long suffering
wife would testify :)
Also, I rarely let something like an Actual Fact get in the way of an opinion. 😇

ATB,
Daniel

Back on topic: I needed a new PC monitor today, so went to Currys. Of the ~30 models on their website there were only 3 in the shop (one of each model) none of which were on display due to a policy of not opening the boxes on the new stock because that’s one that they can’t sell. They had very low stock of most things.

I decided to go with one that was slightly higher spec than I intended rather than a lower spec 2018 model, or my 3rd option which was a 90 min round trip to the nearest Argos that had the model I first wanted.

The shop was busy, people queuing for both talking to the staff and the tills, but it seemed many slow conversations and not much selling, significantly due to lack of stock. They may be doing a roaring trade online though.

I have just ordered a new oven and hob.

Did some research, and went to Currys which is pretty much the only place locally where one can see the physical goods. Some stock on display but not what I wanted.

Priced items including fitting at Currys online and came close £1050. Go online to AO and the cost is £880. No contest is there!

The white goods sector needs to rethink its approach to retailing - it is no surprise that online is cheaper as they do not have stores, displays, staff etc to pay for.

I've used AO for a couple of things in the last 2 years. Washing machine and Freezer. Always used John Lewis up to then, but after a dismal JL but contracted out delivery of expensive fridge and freezer stuff to my SiL's house that was just bad in every possible way I thought I would give them a go. Plus their stock/delivery seems better.

I was well pleased, aside from the inevitable follow up call to try and sell me extended warranty, not too pushy though and politely quickly ended, delivery on time by their own people, if you call them its real people in Lostock (Bolton) who really do seem to care. We had a freezer failure, borrowed space in neighbours freezers, rang AO to say "want an upright to fit in this space, prefer Bosch, AEG or similar, what can you get me quickly"...all sorted and arrived next day, good price as well .

I hope your AO experience is as good as mine, they do seem to be better than Currys and John Lewis these days.

+1 for AO. they're brilliant. We have insurance on the washing machine and the cooker as they are the most expensive to repair - we've done very well out of it. A washing machine replaced, and three call outs on the cooker with one to come for a new control panel. Don't forget that if the drum bearing packs up on a washing machine now the machine will be written off as the bearings are not replaceable (with the exeception of Miele iirc).

Aye you have done well out of the insurance, but it doesn't say much about the quality of the goods does it?! lol

Gross margin. So the commercial decision is do we have a generous returns policy to encourage online sales or do we pay rent rates staff and fitting out for stores. Do we have one warehouse or distributed stock in all colours and sizes on multiple sites. For mass market, not needing preening and flattering retail staff to make Sir or Madam feel important, online will surely give you more net profit. Clothing retailers could probably cut down on returns by removing the @RAND function from their tape measures. When I was a suit buying office warrior in the 70s an M&S 38 was 38, now its anything from a lot less to a tent like lot more. I bet as much stuff gets returned for wrong size as for don't like.

Back to Rorsach comment 2 above, is this a deliberate non sequitur or do you not understand that a Bosch, Hotpoint, Zanussi or whatever from AO will be just the same as one from any other retailer?

Back to Rorsach comment 2 above, is this a deliberate non sequitur or do you not understand that a Bosch, Hotpoint, Zanussi or whatever from AO will be just the same as one from any other retailer?
I'm not sure all products are created equal,
But I can't prove it A guy who I new a while back told me that the McCullogh chain saws sold in B&Q were a cheaper version made only for them.

I know you weren't talking about B&Q or chainsaws but the idea is the same.

I wasn't attacking AO, I was attacking the products themselves. As @artie correctly points out though big retailers can get different spec models made just for them TV's are the most common for this, Curry's will sell a TV that is made just for them, the basic model number will be the same as that sold by others but there will be an additional model number that designates it for Curry's. The quality therefore can vary. Whether AO does this I don't know but that wasnt my point anyway.

Latest posts

Back