Critique Please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently finished the following two pieces:

2621534736_d2b2c4f9a0.jpg

2621534740_6ff95d0e95.jpg
2621534750_6f8b823888.jpg

The vase is from a poplar tree which was cut down by a neighbour of my parents and I was able to get quite a bit of it :D . The lidded box (I think) is ash on the bottom and mahogany on the top. Both are finished with Danish Oil with a final layer of wax.

I enjoyed making these and learnt a lot doing so, but would welcome comments on either to help me develop further!

Thanks in anticipation!

Paul.

They both look Very nice Paul.

I love the figure on the vase and I think the shape really does it justice.

I agree the lid of the Vase looks like mahogany, to be honest the bottom looks a bit balnd to me - I like the shape but there doesn't seem to be any figure in the wood, mind you that's likely to be the flash?

But overall, very nice.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Really good shapes for both bowls. OK, the grain isn't that interesting, but the key thing is that the shapes are very "satisfying" and a strong grai might detract from that. Don't know why - must consult Darlow to see his theories again.
Only criticism is the knob on the lid - I'd make it a bit less elongated. Possibly the contrast between the relatively stable base and the tall top isn't quite right?

Hi Paul,
Great shape on the vase, and very nice to look at. The finial on the lid, yes I would agree with the others a tad to tall, but really great job though.
Cheers
Pete

Hi Paul - the vase is excellent,I think you would struggle to find a way to improve it. :D
Look to have done a great job hollowing the bowl as well,and both look to be very well finished.

Andrew

Two nice looking pieces there Paul :D
The vase in particular looks very nice.Nice shape and finish.
Also like the box with two nice contrasting timbers,not sure if it is Ash or Mahogany though meself :? Looks like it might be Horse Chestnut and our old friend Iroko :?:
I think the finial looks about the right proportion but would have liked to have seen more shape to it,not so bulbous at the top.Unless there is a reason for it been that shape.
Would also like to have seen a piccy or two of the inside of the vase.
What sizes,and finish are they :?:
Overall though two very very nice pieces:D

Good work PH!

The knob on the top of the lid is a little bulbous and to my eye, out of scale. Maybe a flared base where the lid meets knob would have given more balance?

Have a browse around at finials... they come in all shapes/forms ...I'm still searching for the one that appeals to me :wink:

Some nice pieces there Paul. Like the others the finial is perhaps the only thing I would change. Personally I would have just a small knob to copy the shape of the bowl but we are all different. As Graham said finials are funny things that often look great when you are doing them on the althe but look very different in situ.

Pete

Thanks for all the comments. Of the two pieces, I too prefer the vase, which is approximately 7 inches tall and about 5 inches at its widest point.

I can see where you are all coming from in relation to the finial - the picture actually makes it look "thicker" than it is but I agree there is something not quite right there! Unfortunately the wood on the bottom of the bowl was very plain (and I paid for that bit! :oops:)

Thanks again,
Paul.

You seem to have captured the best of the figuring in the vase Paul, I am in the same mind as Pete on the knob, a smaller squat knob reflecting the base shape is what shouts to me, somehow the existing one does not look delicate or sophisticated enough to warrant the description finial.

Just a thought, ( I do have them occasionally :shock: ) with a plain wood such as this, think of either having both a leg and a long finial of a contrasting wood or making a small neck with a darker wood instead of a lid. The effect can be enhanced by the plain colour and the contrast.

Pete

Hi Paul,

I like both pieces, especially the vase.
Not much of a vase/bowl turner myself. I wonder if the curve is a little too flat in the middle, and going inward too much at the top. Of course the photograph may be to blame. A picture straight from the side may help, a lens correction program may be useful too.

With boxes like yours I feel more at home. The form of the box seems perfect to me. I think I would have preferred the lid to fall in the box, giving a continuation of the curve of the bottom.
In my experience woodturners never agree on knobs.
Was the choice of mahogany for the knob well considered? Would a knob in the wood of the bottom, contrasting with the lid have worked better?
Did you want a simple knob or an arty finial? Both would have worked well on this box I think.
Should a purely functional knob not have been smaller, at least be shorter?
A finial could have been more elaborate and longer. As Graham wrote, finials is a study in itself. Just have a look at Cindy Drozda's site.

Looking forward to more of your boxes.

Hans

Thanks for the Cindy link Hans... I was going to mention her but couldn't remember her last name :roll:

I've seen some vids of her working but can't remember (good thing I have me name written down :lol: ) which site... one of the US suppliers if I recall?

Hi Graham,

I know Cindy Drozda's DVD's were supposed to be available by Turners Retreat. I didn't find them on their website though. It seems the Toolpost have them now. I feel I can safely recommend the DVD Fabulous Finial Box for turners with (some) experience in box making.

Hans

Back