Credit Cruch Chrimbo Pressies - suggestions!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary S

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

With money being very tight this year how about some tips on great ideas to make people out of wood for Christmas pressies?

I'm sure there are loads of great, novel ideas out there amongst the forum (along with links to cutting lists, maybe!).

I've thought about maybe making a 'job lot' of chopping boards - I get loads of great comments about the one I've got in my kitchen...

n702886978_505599_5768.jpg

Made from the oak tree that I had chopped down in my back garden (now seasoned for over 2 years).

Any other suggestions from all you penny pinchers out there?!

Gary

Boxes, small clocks, toys, all can be made from small off cuts that you should be able to pick up from any pro woodworker near you.

Roy.

Digit":2tcadp2g said:
Boxes, small clocks, toys, all can be made from small off cuts that you should be able to pick up from any pro woodworker near you.

Roy.

The issue is finding inspiration on things to build rather than sourcing the wood - I've got a workshop (ie garage!) full of wood, offcuts and otherwise!

Boxes might be the way to go...

That's my problem as well. Me and the wife have an arrangement, she designs 'em, I make 'em!
Checking the net for plans might be worthwhile.

Roy.

scissors...

To cut up the credit cards that are partly to blame for the situation in the first place!

Other than that, I'm thinking screwdriver sets made from a power-driver bit set and a nice turned handle in a wooden case, marking gauges, dovetail templates and other laying out tools, though this helps if your family are into woodwork too, or it may fall flat!

Aidan

Turned truncheons for leathering hoodies with?

Croquet or boule sets. Cricket bat and stumps set if you're feeling ambitious. Any smokers in the family?

Here are a few ideas :lol:

The candle stand might need a fire warning though just to safeguard your own rear end :lol: Certainly easy to make from offcuts.
395247621_7c0435b498.jpg

Or anyone into knitting might go for one of these

525222080_b2288b534f.jpg

A skein holder :lol:

Jewellery? as displayed by Racers and DaveL.

This has been quite a popular present I've made for family (click on pics for WIP shots):

And really does only need an offcut (and if you want to make yourself feel good see how much these cost from Molton Brown!)

Cheers

Gidon

Keep it up folks!

These ideas will win me brownie points with SWMBO.

I've been told if I take another bloody bowl into the house it will get shoved up my........... :lol: :lol:

She is really supportive of my efforts. I spent 3 weeks making a jewelry box for her - "very nice" says she "saw one similar in the £ shop the other day" :cry: ](*,)

If you have a son around 6 / 7 years old

Get a shoe box , with nice xmas paper and ribbons all over it ,

give it to him Christmas morning , watch as he rips all the paper off to get at his gift :p

Then when he comes running over crying his eyes out showing you

A EMPTY BOX :lol:

Tell him its the latest Action man deserter :p :p

Sorted

Love it !!!!

:lol:

Too un PC Blister. It is an Action type person and they don't desert, they go on long term sick :D

Phil

Before anyone comments, I think the Armed Forces do a great job. I was a STAB in the RLC for 20 years

and on that theme...

Little boy: Why does the ice cream van play a tune?
Father: To let you know when he's run out of ice cream.

For a great number of years, I've been making boxes, toys, gadgets ornaments etc. both as part of my hobby and lately to supplement my pension, it is a job to keep coming up with the new ideas.
I sell mine through Craft Fairs, but it is becoming increasingly difficult to be able to, any craft made object is sticking now when a few years ago the table was nearly cleared in a day.
Derek.

If it was me I would make small objects from the wood, which will make your wood go further. If thats not a problem ie you have a whole tree well there is no end to what can be done.

wizer":v81if6sb said:
Jewellery? as displayed by Racers and DaveL.

I have just finished a production run of cuff links
3046096225_a079651987.jpg

I drilled some holes in a strip of MDF as I had trouble remembering which ones had been waxed and then polished, here they are in the boxes ready for delivery
3046932426_35dca7fccf.jpg

The back row are sycamore with a purple heart stripe then solid purple heart, pine and sycamore, all made to order, while the rose wood ones are for me. 8)

I have just had an order for a pair in padouk, along with a matching pen and pencil set. :D

Back