credit card fraud today after using Paypal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
My credit card company telephoned me regarding three unusual transactions which turn out to be fraudulent.

I used Penpal this morning so watch out if you use and check your credit card balances regularly for a while.

I had the same thing happen with paypal and a debit card last year but luckily the bank was on the ball and the transactions were stopped.

Cheers

Mike

Flynnwood":307av381 said:
Thanks for the heads-up on that.

On a related note, according to the article below, this disc mower cost the farmer £2,030 (fraud) via a BACS transfer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Claas-Disco-3 ... 2c704b4638

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/20/08/201 ... -fraud.htm

"The victim, herself a Barclays account holder, has been told by the bank there is nothing they can do as the "seller" closed the account soon after the transaction was made on 2 July."

You have to be mad to trust that sort of money to someone who has zero feedback. Is there no protection at all on ebay, I do not know why but I always thought that you had some sort of come back if you are ripped off, or is that only if you use their sister company paypal :roll:

You would have thought that Barclays would have made some sort of goodwill gesture considering it was one of their customers who ripped another customer off :evil:

Cheers

Mike

Further thoughts on the matter of my incident I would add this to my message.

When completing the transaction on the net with paypal and ebay there was a charge of an extra £1 which was added to pay medical expenses at the Syrian conflict .

This was not a voluntary charge because I could not make any amendment to the account and I clicked the confirm button to complete the sale.

So something to watch out for. (I will try and contact paypal later today on their help line)

I had an email from Paypal a while ago as a receipt for a cash transfer - it looked just like those I've got when I have bought and sold stuff from the listings of this forum. To check I logged in to Paypal and sure enough the payment (for about £40) was listed to someone I didn't know and certainly hadn't made the payment. I clicked on the cancel option and worked on the basis that if it was genuine and I'd forgotten it I would soon hear back.

I also changed my Paypal password and carried out a full virus check (that was clean).

Since then I have had several similar types of email purporting to be cash transfers which are clearly 'fake' as they include a click here to log in to your Paypal account that the computer shows go to different non Paypal (scammer) addresses to try to get me to 'give' my password. So I always advise caution.

I also get loads of emails from 'my bank' saying to log in by clicking on the link provided to unlock my account. Most are from banks that I have no accounts with and are full of grammar and spelling errors.

I am now very wary and only log in to my accounts when I have actually gone to the relevant web site. If I am even slightly unsure I immediately close the computer and run a virus check.

Misterfish

DW hope you get it sorted, I get emails all the time from PayPal with a link asking me to log into my account, I never use this link but I do log in just to check my account, also I never leave a lot of money in my PayPal account!

PayPal, eBay, use them both but hate them both.

Baldhead

Yes after this experience I am going to open a credit card account, (small credit limit) which will only be used on line. People like amazon etc. these days insert your number from their records and bobs your uncle.

And I will check the account regularly.

devonwoody":3uhl8odc said:
Further thoughts on the matter of my incident I would add this to my message.

When completing the transaction on the net with paypal and ebay there was a charge of an extra £1 which was added to pay medical expenses at the Syrian conflict .

This was not a voluntary charge because I could not make any amendment to the account and I clicked the confirm button to complete the sale.

So something to watch out for. (I will try and contact paypal later today on their help line)

That involuntary charge can't be right.

I would also suggest (if you haven't already) to change your password asap to something really strong.

This might be the number you need:

0208 605 3000
You should get the option;
1) Paypal services
2) Ebay services

devonwoody, was the fraudulent transaction done via Paypal or directly from your credit card ? If the latter, your recent Paypal transaction might just be coincidence. If the fraudsters got your card details from Paypal, I think it unlikely that your transaction somehow triggered the transaction. What I am saying is that I think it'll be worth protecting the card that was the subject of the fraud by having the company issue a new one - I expect they've taken steps already to do this.

DW I'd like to know the outcome of this involuntary charge. Also who is asking for it, the seller, ebay, or paypal?

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":1ogkzi2j said:
DW I'd like to know the outcome of this involuntary charge. Also who is asking for it, the seller, ebay, or paypal?

Cheers

Mike

Spoke to paypal on the telephone yesterday and they state they did not add the surcharge and was most probably the supplier. The surcharge on the paypal transaction site I could not amend or delete and as it was only £1 and I wanted the hinges, I let it go through.

I shall be telephoning the supplier later today to hear his comments, I will add more later after his comments on the matter.

Just as a tip to folks. Whenever you want to logon to any online secure site (banking, PayPal, credit card etc) always boot your browser and either follow a favourites link that you yourself established or better still, type the IP address in the address bar

Never follow a link from an e mail you've received, regardless of how professional the page looks

Telephoned the supplier of the eight butt hinges ( for those jewellery boxes) Edwin Davies telephone no.01952882680, who said they were unaware of the surcharge for Syrian medical expenses and put the blame back at PayPal saying the paypal site is not secure like they state. (My neighbour also go hit Sunday at paypal the same day on a different matter and supplier)
They offered to refund the £1 but I declined the offer and was rewarded by being given a refund on delivery charges because the formed charged me for 8 x60p postage which they feel is excessive.

Sound a good hardware supplier.

I have been notified of a refund by paypal only minutes after putting the telephone down from Edwin Davies those hardware suppliers. Sound a good company to deal with.

How do I get the refund out of paypal my credit card number has been blocked because of those fraud attacks. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)

devonwoody":2p9i7864 said:
I have been notified of a refund by paypal only minutes after putting the telephone down from Edwin Davies those hardware suppliers. Sound a good company to deal with.

How do I get the refund out of paypal my credit card number has been blocked because of those fraud attacks. (hammer) (hammer) (hammer)
You don't need to withdraw it, just leave it sitting there till you want to buy something else from any supplier that takes PayPal.

Phil

Back