crazy why ? 18.2 or 19.1 router cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head clansman

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

mdf sheeting is approx 18.58mm so why do the router companies make the cutters for trenching/housing , one two small the 18.2mm, or the 19.1mm to big leaving a gap of about 0.5mm :?: :? .hc

one for when its summer and the other for when its winter :lol:

joking aside, i've always done it with two passes with a smaller cutter.

John-Henry

jhwbigley":249z2etm said:
one for when its summer and the other for when its winter :lol:

joking aside, i've always done it with two passes with a smaller cutter.

John-Henry

I agree with J-H. I'd make a jig to go with your router and your cutter bit such that you set the jig by slipping in a sample of the current batch which then sets the width to that of the sheet plus a smidgin for glue.

Or just use a dado blade :wink: Running and ducking!!
Bob

MDF will expand & contract with the ambient humidity so your Approx :roll: 18.58 will be something else tomorrow, and if you measure the edge of the board and then cut to the center and measure again you are likely to get two different thicknesses. So best to do as has been said and make an adjustable jig set to fit the board on teh day.

Wealden do an 18.5mm bit, this combined with a big hammer should do the job :wink:

Jason

jasonB":2oduxmim said:
Wealden do an 18.5mm bit, this combined with a big hammer should do the job :wink:

Jason

As we all know fine furniture is assembled with a estwing :shock:

John-Henry

Sorry can't answer the question.
I have been known to thickness the edge of a sheet with a slicing cutter to get a good fit though. This gets around panel thickness variations.

xy

Latest posts

Back