cracks on wet wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morris

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there
we just slabed a lot of 4 - 5ft treetrunks, (4 ins thick)which I can cut the bowlblanks out of, some big cracks on the end, should I cut them of and seal them or should I leave them as they are and use the slit ends as candlesticks??

thanks
Morris

Hmmmm...........you'll know the way to go in about 4years time I guess !

I'd personally cut back to solid wood and seal the ends, in my experience any fault that's there when drying is commenced will be exaggerated as drying goes on. Make sure what you cut off is in useful lengths so as not to be just firewood.

By the way, what timber?

Chris.

Echoing Chris I would cut the split ends off before sealing or they will just get worse under the sealer. If the split ends can be cut along the grain to useful lengths (keyrings & lightpulls need only be a couple of inches long) do that. A lot depends on the wood as well. Something like cherry is more likely to go than yew for example which I have not yet seen a split in.

Pete

Hello
thanks for that
I think its Aspen, I did turn some bowls and it looks like pine, but hardwood ,a lot of grain, quiet nice, I thought of trying to colour or stain it

Morris

Back