cracked opportunity

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

this thread is posted to show what I developed some years ago from a closed form that had induced a crack. The form of the piece was too good to throw away so I left it on the shelf for quite a while in the hope that some ideas would pop into my head.

Some time later I was given some ivy by a friend and an idea came into my head called " nature's bounty".

The piece inspired was based on nature and the way that it recycles and gives. The idea was to produce a form/ seed pod that looked as if it had fallen from a tree and cracked as it came to rest on the ivy, bringing forth new life in the way of it's seeds that have been exposed.

here are the pics with the first one showing the cracked form which has a fine crack running down the front.

NB1.jpg

NB2.jpg

NB4.jpg

NB8.jpg

NB6.jpg

NB7.jpg

NB9.jpg

NB11.jpg

NB12.jpg

NB13.jpg

NB17.jpg

NB18.jpg

NB19.jpg

NB20.jpg

NB21.jpg

NB24.jpg

NB25.jpg

NB27.jpg

forum.jpg

forum2.jpg

nb36.jpg

forum1.jpg

forum3.jpg

Hi Wizer, Speanwoody, Philliy, George and davey boy.

Thank you for your comments.

I keep all of my pieces that do not season properly. However I now thankfully do not have many that do crack so and when they do they never quite crack exactly where I want them to.

This method is good to do straight off as by adding a cut out the wood will not crack any how and will just move into the empty space. You do need to make sure the wall is thin thought if done straight off.

Here is a piece I posted many moons ago, some may not have seen it, apologies to those who have.

This was the second piece I made from a cracked bowl. Now as I say I cut perfectly good ones up.

It is called "Fudochi" which means "unmovable wisdom". If any one is interested I can post what it means but don;t want to waffle even more.

IMAG014.jpg

Mark,

what a great solution, which, if I may be so bold, significantly ADDS to the piece :D :D (IMHO :roll: )

Dave

Though I have seen this piece before seeing thee process is really interesting. I have a holly bowl roughed out that has split right down both sides but not across the bottom and was thinking of something along these lines, i.e. carving the splits out. Hadn't thought of incorporating other wood. Now where did I throw all that ivy ...bet it's at the bottom of the firewood pile

Thanks for the memory jolt and the guidance.

I have looked at your website Mark well over 10 times now and this is my favourite piece so far. I think it is magic, if I had enough pennies I would appreciate buying this and would be more than happy to shout from the roof tops that it was made by Mark Sanger.

Thanks for another insprational piece, but George is still my favourite, LOL!

Best wishes to all.

Once again, you make turning into an art form.
Keep at it and you'll soon be recognised as one who makes inheritances in their first generation.

Hi Mark,
Bit late to comment, but IMHO two excellent pieces.
As has already been said, very inspiring, and getting away from the candlestick and goblet type turning, which us mere mortals are still trying to master.
I was never a big fan of coloured work, preferring the natural grain and colour of the wood to show through, but am quickly becoming converted.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Malc :D

P.S. George, I still like your work too \:D/

George, thanks for adding to my fund but you'll probably get it back when I have enough for one of your pieces!

Mark, perhaps you could do another one of these but reverse the bowl and ball colours?

Side by side, the pieces would be stunning!

Thank you Malc.

Mark has been a very big influence on my work.
He has spent many many hours helping me see and understand the creative possibilities of my work.

Regards George

Mark - not only is the finished item a pleasure to the eye, but many thanks for the WIP photos. On a one off piece like this, I'm sure most of us would get carried away with the artistic effort and never think about fishing out the camera.

I'm sure the gognoscenti here will all know how the base is coloured and what wood it is, but could you tell the newbies please.

Rob

Latest posts

Back