Crack in Armchair Joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use a couple of Miller dowels (after cramping the joint shut). They are like stepped wooden nails, strong, but wood rather than metal so they don't introduce extraneous stresses. They are held in with glue, and I use Titebond III for these. Yes you will see the dowel ends on the front surface but since dowels are often seen in woodwork, they don't look out of place. Axminster do them, and you'll need a starter kit including the stepped drill. I have used these on dining chairs for a single joint repair.

It won't be as 'proper' as disassembling the chair and regluing, but as said that carries a big risk of damage.

The chair looks as though it has been re-upholstered, if that is the case the new upholstery may be too tight and the seat has been forced into place. If this is the case there will be no point in re-glueing the joint until the fabric is adjusted. It is a common problem with drop in seats. That said, it is a very nice chair and looks to be very good quality. I would be surprised if it were a dowel joint but it could be. Knowing the age and origin of the chair would give a clue as to what sort of joint it has and also what kind of glue was used. if it is a modern non reversible glue then the only option is to take the joint apart, clean off the old glue and re-glue. If by chance hide glue has been used it would be possible to firstly inject some hot water into the joint to soften the glue then inject some warm fish glue which is thin and to a large degree compatible with hide glue, it will creep right into the joint which can then be clamped. It will never be as good as taking the joint apart but is a good second best.
Under no circumstances should you put screws though the joint.

Back