CPR new instruction video

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting. I hope that day never comes for anyone.

My mum has had heart attacks and I have been in the presence of her attacks, is a horrible shock.

Eat well and live well guys, take care of yourselves

Cheers for sharing. New way looks really simple.
I'd learned the old way, which I guess is better than nothing, (though I don't remember the St John's trainer looking like the one in BugBear's video!!)

For myself i find it just adds a lot of confusion to what little people already think they know... but any little bit they do know can only help... but there should be more present info in the media (tv, internet ads) rather than just.. again... what little there is without people looking into the matter.

Having a child who constantly needed CPR for the few months of her life and could do at any time requires me to know about this matter... however wether I can overcome the panic/shock when the time comes is only something I can hope I do.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the British Heart Foundation's video with Vinnie Jones - Hard & Fast Hands-only CPR - "and no kissing - you only kiss your missus on the lips"

Seriously, it's worth doing a course with a good instructor - if only to understand what 2" chest compressions really means. If you're doing it right, 2" compressions right on the sovereign to the beat of Stayin' Alive - a couple of minutes worth and you're the one who needs resuscitating - which is why you phone 999 first!

To add a degree of "wwww" to the discussion, it is often said in medical circles that chest compressions aren't being correctly done if no ribs are broken in the process - as an indication of the pressure required to do 2". It feels horrible, but when you have a beating heart at the end, then you don't mind so much, ribs heal.
It's a fact that any compressions are better than none, and I have to agree with the above comment re Vinnie Jones - it's about the best infomercial out there.
This following product comes highly recommended, and I think should be part of any first aid kit, certainly in cars.

http://www.laerdal.com/gb/doc/113/Laerdal-Pocket-Mask

It allows the user to give mouth-to-mouth breaths without any lip contact, indeed there is a built in filter, and the mask itself can aid getting a good seal, although it is perhaps easier with a second person helping.

Being an anaesthetist, I feel this is one area I have some experience in.

Cheers,
Adam

P.s. Feel free to ask any questions of me, public or private.

Kalimna":3clzz8iy said:
Being an anaesthetist, I feel this is one area I have some experience in.

Cheers,
Adam

P.s. Feel free to ask any questions of me, public or private.

What are your thoughts on the good old "thump" right in the middle of the chest ?
When I was an apprentice we were taught the "thump" as the first thing to do ( in the eighties ), then on a refresher a few years later it had been stopped and as far as I know has continued to be left out of first aid training.
Aim dead centre and listen for a crack and then a moan if you'd done it right.
I've been fortunate that I've never had to deal with a heart attack or an arrest, I always seem to end up with the bloody ones, but I've heard from others that it really works well. Apparently stops the fibrillation dead. No pun intended.

Done my first aid at work course. No one else wanted to do it!!! So when I was apprentice I was last asked, seems selfish of them really

Regarding the chest thump, I was taught that it was only for witnessed arrests which rules it out for most out-of-hospital arrests. The few times I've tried it, there was no effect. However, it *may* terminate ventricular fib, takes merely secondsand has no negative effects, so I see no reason not to try it.

Cheers,
Adam

Latest posts

Back