Covering Mdf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwade

Established Member
Reaction score
Thinking of building some floor to ceiling unit in the spare room as there is a lot of wasted space. Would build frame out of softwood and screw to existing walls. Doors would be Mdf, it's the finish I'm not sure about. Can I wrap these so that it gives the doors a wood effect.

Whilst i'm sure it's possible, I'm not sure how easy it would be to do on a DIY basis. Why not decide on which natural wood finish you want, and build it from that with veneered mdf panels. Oak? Ash? Sapele? Maple? They're all readily available in "the solid" and as veneered mdf, and the real thing would probably be less hassle than a pseudo mass produced artificial finish that could end up being more difficult to do well, and expensive, than using the real thing.

Just my opinion. If it's not the one you want to hear I have others! :lol:

Wot Roger said. It's easier to do it properly than fake it well.
However, if you really do want to use MDF, use MRMDF and give it a paint finish.
S

Steve Maskery":1tf4qt4y said:
Wot Roger said. It's easier to do it properly than fake it well.
However, if you really do want to use MDF, use MRMDF and give it a paint finish.
S

........ and the easiest way to get a decent finish if you don't have access to spray equipment is to use a dense foam roller. If you use a decent water based paint like Johnstones Eggshell, you will struggle to tell it apart from a sprayed finish unless you compare spray with rollered side by side.

What I didn't want to do is make the whole thing out of wood and have the spare room looking like a log cabin at the end of it, unless I could lighten the wood by staining showing the grain.

wwade":2rlla34y said:
What I didn't want to do is make the whole thing out of wood and have the spare room looking like a log cabin at the end of it, unless I could lighten the wood by staining showing the grain.

Fair comment. Maple or Ash would be pale. Or you could have a painted wood frame with a natural wood panel? Or vice versa?

RogerM":3n9dy9zy said:
wwade":3n9dy9zy said:

Fair comment. Maple or Ash would be pale. Or you could have a painted wood frame with a natural wood panel? Or vice versa?

Will look in to Maple or Ash. Thank you to everyone for their feedback.

Latest posts

Back