Courses

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aop27

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good recommendations for residential amateur courses for a near-beginner? With my level of experience pretty much anything would be worthwhile so any leads would be appreciated.

AP

It will be easier to help AP if you can tell us a bit more about yourself, which part of the country you are in, what kind of woodworking you suspect may interest you most, whether you may be more inclined towards power tools or hand tools etc.

You may not be all that certain at this stage, but you may already be thinking of general house diy, joinery, chair making, small boxes, cabinet and furniture making, turning or even all of them !!! :lol:

Cheers, Paul. :D

It might be worth flicking through the back pages of a magazine also. Furniture & Cabinetmaking seems to have the widest selection of ads.

chisel":ggniaowk said:
It will be easier to help AP if you can tell us a bit more about yourself, which part of the country you are in, what kind of woodworking you suspect may interest you most, whether you may be more inclined towards power tools or hand tools etc.

You may not be all that certain at this stage, but you may already be thinking of general house diy, joinery, chair making, small boxes, cabinet and furniture making, turning or even all of them !!! :lol:

Cheers, Paul. :D

I was getting ready for a follow-up question on the length of a piece of string I found in my pocket...

I'm based in Surrey but quite happy to travel. My interests are pretty much furniture making and small stuff. I've a router & a woodrat that I've used quite a lot but never quite manage to get things like dovetails or joints to actually work in practice.

hey.

Sounds like we're in a very similar water craft.

I wasn't sure what to go for, course wise, so I figured i'd have a go at grasping the more advanced basics (if that makes sence?) and give 'book learing' a bash.

I got 'The Practical Woodworker' by Stephen Corbett from The Works book shop a few months ago for £3.99. Figured it was worth a punt. :wink:

Have to say, It's proved really useful for me as i'd sort of skipped over the 'classic' joinery (m&t's, dovetails, selecting hardwoods ...) and gone straight to powertool wood butchery! :roll:

This book, whilst being by no means exhaustive, gives a very decent understanding of different timbers and their cuts, hand and power tools and their usage, typical joints (m&t, dove, dowel, biscuit, housings etc) finishing and some basic and more advanced furniture projects.

I'd say that after working through this book, i'll end up with a better understanding of what i like and what I'd like to know more about. From there I can look for a course that could best cater for my interests.

Think that makes sence.... :oops:

All the best. :D

I would warmly recommend Michael Scott http://www.michaelsscott.co.uk/.

I spent a year in his workshop studying furniture making. There are up to four students in the workshop, where usually one or two are on longer course (half a year to a full year), and the rest are on shorter courses - a week to four weeks. Michael is a great teacher - he was making a living for twenty years making furniture, and he combines traditional and modern techniques and tools.

PM me if you like to hear more.

Eyal

Looks interesting - thanks. I'll look into it more deeply.
Thanks

AP

Latest posts

Back