Cottage name sign

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob_H

Established Member
Reaction score
How is this done - ebay link because I have been asked by Mrs H to make a sign or the cottage but I'm not sure if this is a router job or engraving - any ideas how I would do this?

Trend do a letter template kit you can use along with a guide bush in your router .

16052006120.jpg

Rob,

I did these:
Dscn2090.jpg

Dscn3190s.jpg

by printing out the text and sticking the paper onto the wood. Following the text with the router freehand. I did 3 or 4 test/practise runs on scrap first and then went for the real one, came out OK and the grand kids love them. :D

If you're not confident in your ability to route letters freehand, you could always cut an oversized template of your own with a fretsaw.

Gill

Yep, that is how it's done, freehand. If you decide to have a go as has already been suggested on here print out your letters from the computer and then stencil/carbon paper them onto the wood. Once this is done take a fine craft knife and go around the letters scoring just below the surface to break the fibres. Now take a small hand router of 1/4" and the smallest cutter you have and go around the letters or in your case inside the letters. As you creep up to the edgeof the letter it will peel away leaving a neat edge. Practice it first on a piece of scrap. Don't hold the router by the handles but by the baseplate with finger and thumb either side, this gives more control. You will only be routing to a couple of mill at each pass so there will be no snatch or grab and it will be easy to control this way. I hope this is of some help to you. :wink:

Back