Cotswolds mini Bash - 14th July

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bring it along Graham, I doubt you will be taking much of it back with you I for one am always in for a cheaper purchase option.

Starting time?

As soon as we can drag ourselves out of bed and have a cup of coffee etc.

You do all realise that the events of the day are down to you, I'm just here to provide the management support and bribe the boss to supply coffee etc. and of course the essential food, which no doubt I will be paying for in some form or other at a later date.

I envisage by the time people arrive and get organised/lay claim to whatever goodies etc. and mention areas of personal interest a break for early lunch may be in order to allow as much demonstration time PM.

If you want to use my lathe for investigation of a process or see how I personally tackle a task with my limited tooling then your own mask/face shield would be a good idea.

As far as small offcuts Graham, there is that lot under the bench to sort through, all kept just in case. (hopefully it will be dry enough to be able to dump it all outside for sorting)

Forgot to mention that I have a small metal lathe in the shed should you have the odd bolt, washer or whatever that needs a bit of reshaping, drilling etc. any hand hacksawing of bar stock that is lying around is down to you though.

Pete: Hold onto some of that sealer and food safe
...No prob ...remember the shellac sealer has a drying time of around 15mins and can't be hurried (I asked the manufacturers and was told there's no way to speed the process)

Chas: I'm just here to provide the management support with Di's permission of course :lol: I've sorted out a couple of oak blanks for you..

It's a great relief to know that I'm not too old to get excited :lol: :lol: :lol:

CHJ":3ztodusa said:
Forgot to mention that I have a small metal lathe in the shed should you have the odd bolt, washer or whatever that needs a bit of reshaping, drilling etc. any hand hacksawing of bar stock that is lying around is down to you though.

Chas, you are scary, you seem so efficient at everything. What between you & 'Old Soke' I am going to feel like a kid on his first day at school. Please be gentle over this weekend 8-[

Pete[/i]

oldsoke":2ou4e9aw said:
Sorry Pete, as an ex MP (army), I don't do gentle :lol:

That's OK Graham, as an ex Merchant Navy (real navy) Officer I can probably cope.

Pete

PS MP? not sure about that bit....

Pete, you will find it is a very short pedestal you have me sat on, jack of all trades, master of non, about sums up my profile.

My workshop motto when last employed (13+yrs ago) was "You break it we fix it" but the fixing was down to a a group of very talented craftsmen. Knowing how it should be done, or more precisely, knowing where to find out how it should be done is a far cry from being able to actually accomplish it oneself.

CHJ":lhq9ldti said:
knowing where to find out how it should be done is a far cry from being able to actually accomplish it oneself.

That's one of the attractions of thisweekend. I have little to offer and loads to learn

Pete

Would love to be there,but can't :(

Hope you all enjoy it,and I expect pictures,and some fresh entries in the Rogues Gallery :wink:

Andrew

One veteran's not going to be able to attend, unfortunately. Something unexpected has arisen on the domestic front which requires my attention. I'm okay, but someone dear to me (who has difficulty coping on her own anyway) has suddenly lost her eyesight and needs close support right now :( .

Gill

Bodrighy wrote
That's one of the attractions of thisweekend. I have little to offer and loads to learn
Getting back to a Navy theme Pete,i'm in the same boat :D
Andrew pity you can't make it.Would like to have met you :(
But i will look forward to meeting everyone else attending :D
Paul.J.

Sorry to here that you can't make it Gill, was hoping that you and yours would make it, have been looking forward to seeing your samples and working out how to incorporate them in some pieces.

I'm sorry too Gill, like Chas I was really looking forward to seeing your work and hearing your ideas. I am sure we will do this again sometime and get to swap ideas.

Pete

Whoops, forgot to confirm attendance for today, leaving in an hour or so, so see you all later !

Cheers, Paul. :D

Thanks for hosting the turning bash today Chas and thanks to your better half for the halftime feast as well as the endless cups of tea ! =D>

Graham's miniatures were truly astounding, you don't really appreciate the true scale in pictures and when you see them in reality the tiny size and the detail are amazing :shock:

Chris's flowers were fun as well and looked good grouped in the little bud vase that he turned up to suit.

I think your aviary come turning shop is a lovely oasis of calm and tranquility to escape to, except when your feathered friend reminds you he's there by squawking in your ear and nearly giving you a heart attack :lol:

I made it over to the Toolpost at Didcot after lunch as planned and invested in a pile of grip-a-discs and backing pad as recommended so will give those a try tomorrow I hope. They have a decent supply of turning blanks as well for anybody in the area who finds it difficult to get any, as well as just about every turning tool and accessory under the sun as far as I could see. Well worth a visit if you are anywhere near.

Great to meet everybody as well and put names to faces.

Great fun !!!

Cheers, Paul. :D

I'll second the thanks. A great day laid on by Chas. Great food to keep us going as well.

Cheers for all the 'offcuts'. I'll have to buy that pen mandrel soon.

Was good to try making a flower. I got straight home and tried one to show swmbo. Great fun, quick and easy.

Grahams tiny turnings were amazing. All the detail of the larger items but miniature.

Look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Cheers,

Dave

Back