Cot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
anyone built one ?
got plans ?
i have no lathe so spindles r off the menu

Steve

Plenty of free crib plans on line but not much on cots. Whatever you do, choose a mattress first and make the cot to suit. There is a wide range of different sizes available.

I didn't know there was a difference

it is for my grand........

I just wanted to make something special

Steve

Could I suggest that if the brief is to make something special, that you make something else.

I speak from recent experience, but if we had bought http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-br ... CRBZ02800& it would have lasted for a few weeks before it was outgrown. (we didnt have anything like this)

Something like http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-mi ... 00/type-i/ had the sides taken off and became a bed at around 15 months (she didnt go in it for the first 3 months) leaving us with a small bed with big headboard and footboards.

They were just the first pics that I found I hasten to add, not what we got. Whilst it would have been nice to have something special, there is scarcely time to enjoy it, and i would have been really sorry to have something that had taken hours and hours and hours of effort, and it be put away so soon.

If you are expecting many grand ___ then it may be different as it can be passed around the family.

If you contrast the cot with a toy box, well, that could be used for years/even decades (then handed down and used again) and a child will always be reminded that granddad made that for you! The other thing that would be worth considering is a high chair like http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 7AodD28A6w there is a thread on here somewhere- I never got around to making one, but they do get rave reviews. The Mamas and Papas thing that we bought certainly shouldnt! It could be made from your choice of wood, to suit the decor or your taste.

just my thoughts, having noticed over the last 2 years how quickly toddlers grow out of things. If you have time on your hands, quickly learn leatherwork, and get knocking kiddies shoes up on the side! You will save the family millions!

I like the bed idea
I like the high chair idea...looks simple to replicate

I may google toy boxes, but I guess it is just a box tbh

Steve

Use that it will get depends on how many kids you are planning on having!! ;-)

Plus, what a lovely thing to be able to give to someone else when you are done with it.

mickthetree":1cmbxphz said:
Use that it will get depends on how many kids you are planning on having!! ;-)

Plus, what a lovely thing to be able to give to someone else when you are done with it.

both points are very true.

If you do decide to make a cot, start by finding or making the fittings. From previous threads on here they seem to be available in the US but not in the UK.

Hi Steve,

My first proper project was a cot for my son - it took me almost as long to make as it did for my wife to make our baby! I did a rough design on sketchup which was the result if googling a lot of pictures and doing some measuring in shops (fine in Babies'R'Us but they give you snooty looks in John Lewis!). I found this website pretty useful too when I was working out dimensions for gaps between the bars and distance from the mattress to the top rail etc - http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content ... mId/975196 - it is the Australian standard for cot safety (I couldn't find the UK one anywhere but I'm guessing it's pretty similar). If you scroll down the actual dimensions are about halfway down. I used them as a guide to make sure my design didn't end up with arms, lets, heads etc getting trapped.

I've attached a couple of pictures - it's fairly chunky so might not be to everyone's tastes, and there are definitely some things I'd do differently if I did it again but I was fairly happy with it and my son seems to like it! I didn't do dropping sides - they don't put them on manufactured cots in the EU anymore for safety reasons, plus they seemed a bit complicated! I did make it so the base had three heights as he grew.

Hope it all goes well!

Cheers,
Simon

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 874
...second pic didn't attach the first time - here it is with feline spectator!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 875
i like the solid look

i have 5 months of winter working outside to build it

thx for the link...the safety aspect is most important

Steve

Lovely looking cot ;) I was asked to make a cot for a friend but told them I couldn't make it for the prices I've seen around. My suggestion was also a toy box which should be in use for years if its designed right.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Latest posts

Back