cot finally finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickson71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

just a quick photo of my latest project which I've finally completed and in time too...................... one Cot for a friend who's expected to give birth in the next 2 weeks

DSC01031.jpg

one thing learnt is I hate working with pine ............ pain to finish and the stuff marks/dents just when you look at it

Like it Nick

how did you fit the rails to the sides? dowels? individual mortices? dado? other?

Very nice Nick. Presumably fixed sides? Should saved a few trapped fingers. Also how did you recess the spindles into the tops and bottoms? This could be the same question as Tony's!

Thanks for all the nice coments

all the fixed joints where mortice and tenons these were cut using my wood rat ........got to say that the rat made this so easy, cut most of the 90 M/T in one day inculding the rounding over of the tennons using a rasp

whilst the assemble of the sections was done using bolts and threaded insert I got from Isaac Lords as this thing needs to be knockdown for adjusting the base height and storage/transport

Well done. A project like that can be so time consuming.
My wife didn't want me to make ours, I guess it's just as well cause time is very restricted these days! :cry:

Lovely job Nick.

Can I ask what the spacing between the bars is? I have one to make in the very near future, and am thinking of 6cm gap between the bars following advice I got on here about building a craddle (Which the little minx has grown out of already :roll: ) but I like the proportions of yours.

Les

Hi Les

I worked from the british safety standard for cots which I think I've still got at home as a pdf file ......... when I get home tonight I'll have a look and if I still have them I'll pm you

anyhow the spacing was 55mm with 35mm wide slats/bars
the ends used the same gap spacing but I used different width slats with the middle being 70mm the two either side of that being 45mm and the last two either side of those being 35mm

Hope that helps

Ian

Latest posts

Back