Cost of wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big John

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently bought some wood from Arnold Laver and thought it may be of general interest if I passed on how much it cost. I ordered via the phone and all boards were 'random' length and width. This generally means 8ft long and 6" wide, but some of the Cherry was 10".

Cherry (American) £45.5 / cu.ft. for 1" thick
£48.7 1.5"

Iroko £28.8 1"

Ash (Am white) £19.3 1.5"

The Cherry is a 'low sap content' grade and all prices include VAT. This wasn't a bulk order - 3 boards Iroko, 6 boards Ash same for Cherry - so I don't know if further discounts could be obtained.

Of course I hope these prices are competitive with what others have recently paid or :oops:

John - don't know what you intend to use the iroko for but I would take extreme care with it when machining...dust generated when working is nasty, evil stuff :evil: and there's more than one particular forum member who has a very bad reaction to it - Rob

Arnold Laver prices are ok and they will let you select the boards you want. However their delivery charges are sky high :x On the subject of dust from iroko, I found the same problem with sapele. Nice to look at - not nice to machine :shock:

I have three local supplier for my requirements, two buy timber as and when they see it and give me a call when something comes in and the third is the local re-cycling centre where I have an almost unlimited supply of scrapped furniture to play with.
My point? Those prices may well be very fair but they frighten the life out of me!
Finding local suppliers and making friendly contact with the boss is the best move any woody can make IMO.
My break front cabinet in Oak cost me more for the brass knobs than the timber did!

Delivery is free if your order is over £250 and £10 for smaller orders. I live about 15 miles away from the Bradford depot so it may be more expensive as the distance increases.
Thanks for the warnings about Iroko. I've used it before without problems but you never know. I worked in the chemical industry and seemed resistant to several skin sensitisers. Some people got a rash just by being in the general vicinity.
Martin, someonr in a recent post asked about having their reading glasses on. Does this apply to you? :D

Allergic reactions can creep up on you without any warning. First and exposure sensitizes you then the next exposure produces the reaction.
I'm 67 now and at the age of 62 I suddenly developed an allergy to, of all things, chocolate!
(Audience laughs at this point!)
I now have to carry an adrenaline pen with me at all times, allergies can be, like mine life threatening.
Take the matter seriously chaps.

Latest posts

Back