Cost effective insulation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch, nearly £300!

But if you plan to heat it at all (or if th einsulation means that you can avoid having to heat it) then that could be a very cost effective option.

What sort of insulation was it for?

The only insulation they had is the space blanket 100mm stuff. I wanted something that is encased and doesn't make so much mess.

Mart,

Can you give us some details of your shop, size, type of construction, window sizes, doors.
How warm would you like to keep it, all the time, while your working?
How are you heating it?

It's 16 x 8 ft, flat sloping roof 8ft at highest. Construction is wood frame and osb panels. The outside is covered all over with roofing felt for now to keep it dry. In the summer I'll be wood clading over it.

I'll also be using wood t&g on the inside once I can afford it. For now I just want to insulate it. Have a Delongi Oil rad set on frost setting. I want it to be warm enough so the tools are not damaged by condensation etc in the winter, and also so I can work in there. I usually turn the heat up 1 hour before I start work.

There isn't a window yet but I'm in the process of aquiring a second hand double glazed unit. The doors will be same construction as walls, wood panels with insulation between.

I bought some 100mm fibre glass insulation from Wickes a while ago for £12 something per roll. That was on special offer but normal price is only about £18. I needed 3 rolls to do my 8 x 16 shed. Its not encased but as you will be cladding over it that does not matter. Staple it to the studs to keep it in place or put a couple of lengths of scrap ply or hardboard over it for the time being.

Bob

Bob, did you do all the walls and ceiling?

Can you tell me how big the rolls were so I can work out how many to use?

Cheers

Martin

I always thought Homebase are expensive anyway, and B&Q. I don't think I have ever bought anything from them because of there prices.

Sorry. Just my personal thoughts.

Last time home I pot isulation between the roof joists and covered the whole lot with plaster board.

Got a really good deal from B&Q, they were doing the 170mm thick rolls on a two for one basis. The problem was that I bought 8 rolls and only ended up using four. My roof area is 22ft x 12ft.

Check your local freeads.

When I extended my garage :wink: :wink: I managed to purchase some seconds of 50mm kingspan. It cost me £8 a sheet delivered to the door, only damaged edges nothing wrong with the insulation factor. The sheets are normally £20 odd pound a time.

Les

I'd go with the Loft Roll Insulation £19.99 from Wickes. I need 7 rolls to do my 16x8 and this includes the roof and floor. Cover the exposed insulation with dpm till you get a chance to put the t&g up.

Martin

The rolls Dave quoted are the ones I used. I have two large windows in one wall and the doors are to be replaced soon, so that cuts down on the amount needed. I got 3 rolls to do the walls and ceiling. Sorry to see the price has increased though!!

I clad the walls with 12mm chipboard again from Wickes. At £5 for an 8 x 4 sheet it works out quite cheap. Certainly doesn't look as good as T & G but I don't want to be looking at the walls. I used plasterboard for the ceiling bought from B & Q in 2 x 4 sheets. So much easier than trying to fit a large sheet on your own.

Bob

I also used the Wickes chipboard for my workshop walls. No problems; quite neat painted with white emulsion paint (especially as I didn't have to do the painting bit !).

Martin,

I suggest that you look at the local builders merchants for the best price on insulation, Buildbase etc. The sheds are not the cheapest. I only quoted the Wickes price as I could find it on line. Most of the trade places will sell stuff to anyone, maybe not at the lowest trade price but better than Homebase. Check out the bats (sheets) as well as the rolls, easier the handle and just as good, they are used for filling cavity walls.
The free adds or freecycle often have odd/part rolls offered were someone has bought more than they can use.
I have used rockwool bats in the shed and lined the gap in the workshop doors with 1" polystyrene. I have bought a roll of the metalised bubble wrap to use in the roof of my workshop, just need the tuit for putting it up.

Went to Wickes, they had the rolls reduced to £15. 5 rolls later and a broken car :shock:

Got a warning light on the dash, loss of power and judders when I accelerate, any mechanics on here wanna do me a favour :roll: :wink:

Latest posts

Back