• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Cost and Supplier of Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

DAZB

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good supplier of Oak timber to make 2 pair of legs for an existing table in the Yorkshire area ?
I am wanting to create 4 legs about 4" X 4" and around 650mm tall and also does anyone have a guide to what I can expect to have to pay ? Thanks in advance.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not joking but investigate garden centres for 4x4 oak posts, They comeout a lot cheaper than purchasing small amounts from a timber mill.
Naturally you will have to carefully examine the posts before purchase.

G

You could definitely get some at British hardwoods. They are on the net at www.britishhardwoods.co.uk. Their new premises are easy to find, just off the Crosshills roundabout between Keighley and Skipton.

SimonA

Established Member
Reaction score
I'll second that post of British Hard Woods! I now purchase all my timber from them and latley thats been a hell of a lot!! They have been nothing but helpful and pleasent to deall with. You'll definatly be able to get some 4x4 legs there, as for the price I don't have my last bill to hand but I think they where about £17 each ex VAT of course.

They also do a lot of pre-sawn oak too, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than the rough sawn. The last lot I got was 1x5x96 and these where only about £6 each ex VAT.

I can't recommend these guys enough. I think it was Alf who put me onto them :D

Cheers.

SimonA

DAZB

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to update---I managed to get across to British Hardwoods this afternoon and got the legs I needed at £17.50 each plus VAT. Excellent advice so thanks again.