Corruption report.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericdockum

Established Member
Reaction score
I would just like to thank the Forum in general, I am a newbie but have been reading most days over the last few months and have found the forum a great source of info and ideas.

However, having acquired a small lathe in the autumn and have made some wood shavings I regret to report I am now becoming further corrupted. From the Forum I learnt about dust separation, and have made a Thien type dust knock out from plastic paint pails, (works great), I am looking at getting a bandsaw, and today I was out in the car and passed someone chopping down vegetation in their front garden, turned the car round and went back and blagged 2 off 4" x 3' pieces from a small tree. (Looks like Privet but has been grown up into a tree shape.)

Straight back home and on with PVA, all I had to hand.

First time I have done that, no clue what I will do with it, or how it will turn, but that is a problem for a year or two's time I guess. It seemed such a waste to chip. (Note to self, do I need to buy some wax?)

We have a open fire, but now I have to personally vet all the firewood that is used. Also we have a box next to the lounge filled with toilet roll centres filled with wood shavings.

So my corruption continues, the slippery slope of more tools, and sizing every wooden object up for possibilities. I suspect there are other hidden victims like myself out there, keeping quiet but becoming further corrupted by the forum day by day.

So I would just like to say thanks to all, keep up the good work!
:D =D>

Very entertaining Eric....and absolutely true. If I may make a future prediction (obviously this didn't happen to me, it was to a friend you understand). Skip diving is next. You'll be buying a planar/thicknesser in due course (you probably don't know that yet) which will allow you to re-purpose all manner of chucked away timber. Pub tables, old oak furniture, you name it....out of the skip it comes, denailed and on with the resurrection. So it's not restricted to recently living forms of wood.

Now don't get me started on the wood container at my local tip.....that's a veritable treasure trove....teak, beech, iroko...woffles on till fades.....

I have never skip dived, but I have to admit I have thought about it....... :D

But I have kept the frame of a old teak garden bench that would otherwise been thrown away.

I didn't realise I was already moving on to the next stage. :oops:

I think you and I share some womble traits Eric. Here's the reclaimed teak arm of a garden bench in my to be turned pile :)

Attachments

• Mon Feb10th 12.jpg
    Mon Feb10th 12.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 1,321
Father forgive me, for I have sinned......

You know you've got to the next stage when you keep a chainsaw in the car!!

(Obviously not me, just someone I know :---)

yes....but with caveats. I live in a tiny village and the local tip (near Hartley Wintney) is a real tuppeny halpenny affair. The bins are just containers with steps up to the tops and when they're full the lorry just hoists them on and off it goes. Its not like a town tip ie really small. I've also got to know one of the lads there, just oi mate how you doing stuff but he turns a blind eye if I accidentally pull a lump of teak out of the wood container.

It ABSOLUTELY AMAZES me what people throw in those skips. There is some seriously good quality hardwoods that go to waste on a daily basis in local tips including mahogany and teak. sacrilege!

Edit: sorry Graham...that last chap managed to squeeze two posts in before I had chance to hit send :)

Local, quite big, tip is only about one mile from us but heavily manned with machine gun turrets and guard dogs. Take a bit of wood ? You must be joking mate.

Grahamshed":1jvjikb9 said:
Local, quite big, tip is only about one mile from us but heavily manned with machine gun turrets and guard dogs. Take a bit of wood ? You must be joking mate.

Biscuits, my friend, biscuits.

That's your answer. At my tip you can re-home the waste of others through the exchange medium of the simple Rich Tea - Them tip fellahs, they love em!

ericdockum":3m5qxiap said:
We have a open fire, but now I have to personally vet all the firewood that is used. Also we have a box next to the lounge filled with toilet roll centres filled with wood shavings.

Oh dear, I too vet all our firewood and we also use wood shavings in toilet roll centres on the open fire....

My partner is probably even more corrupted than me and has been known to stop his van, reverse back up a country track and blag a long ash stick lying beside the track from the farmer who had just felled it! Said stick was just too long to fit straight in the long wheel based van so I ended up with one end in my lap so we could close the rear doors :) He wanted this stick because the shape of the butt end was perfect to make an axe handle from. He did make the axe handle from the stick (with drawknife, rather than a lathe) and it won a prize in our local Eisteddfod! The rest of the stick was made into turned vases as I recall.

BTW - You know you are really corrupted when every room in the house has small collections of wood blanks tucked away for final drying in corners and under furniture!

OOPS.

liked your post regarding firewood and the long stick, read it aloud to SWMBO just to prove I was not completely nuts. (or not the only one at least).

However read out the last sentence regarding drying in the house, which unfortunately triggered a "not on your life" response to what seems to me a quite reasonable idea. This will need some managing....

ericdockum":2ruc8en0 said:
OOPS.

However read out the last sentence regarding drying in the house, which unfortunately triggered a "not on your life" response to what seems to me a quite reasonable idea. This will need some managing....

Hide the blanks in cardboard boxes and slide them under beds, sofas, chairs etc :) That is what we do, along with making good use of a spare room. I also use the airing cupboard (our house has a very large one) to simulate kiln drying for blanks I'll be making into boxes. Perhaps you need to try a bit of bribery in the form of nice turned wooden gifts?

I like the idea of the toilet roll centres stuffed with shavings, I have a wood burner in the workshop, and have sometimes used shavings to light it. I will have to start saving the centres.

Ahhhh.... <lightbulb shines over head> wonder if they would impress the men at the recycling centre / tip

I dry my roughed out items in the attic, cool and dry, I get minimal distortion and they can be left for ages (out of sight etc!)

Back