Corrugated Metal Roof fixing bolts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claymore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
When my workshop was built they fitted a green painted corrugated metal roof complete with inner insulation boards and bolted it directly onto the joists, due to the shape and size of my workshop (its almost triangular) they had to cut and join the large metal panels and finished with a 8" wide L shaped facia and it looks pretty smart BUT last winter it started to leak and mainly along where the panels join and basically I had to use a trug to catch the drips on very wet days.
Now I have investigated by using my camera on a long monopod (so i can reach, can't use ladders due to disability) and can see that where they bolted the panels onto the roof the crows have pulled all the black rubber washer/covers off :evil: and i guess this is where the water is entering and then spreading across the inner foam panels before dripping inside. I also spotted some normal wood screws that they must have used and screwed through the metal onto the joists (yes they were cowboys and fortunately the boss is now dead so cannot rip any other people off again)
I am wondering if I get some of that black paint on rubber stuff will be ok to seal the bolt heads etc and also where the metal panels overlap could anyone suggest a way of sealing?
We have no tradesmen here so have to rely on a local handyman who is actually pretty good and very hard working and he said if i get the right materials he will paint it on etc as he doesn't mind climbing on roofs (ex military)
Eventually I intend having an extension on the workshop and will then get a full new roof fitted so the sealer is just to last around a year.
Hope this makes sense
Cheers
Brian
ps we kept finding the rubber bolt seals on our carpark and wondered where they were from until one day I spotted a vandal crow pulling it off the sodding roof! lol

Hi. Yes im sure the black rubber gloopy stuff will seal the bolt heads. My neighbour had the same problem with his garage roof, not the crows but the leaks. He put a thick trowel mastic over the bolts and seams and that sorted it for a few years.

phil.p":3jrnny0k said:
It's customary for good reason to screw roofing sheets through the peaks not the troughs - I wonder why that one is different?

That would seem to be the best way but like I said the guy was a cowboy, he did say he had fitted similar before but going by his handiwork I think he must have been telling porky pies :evil:

Cheers everyone I will head to the big city Dumfries (150 miles each way) and check out their shops.

Brian
ps I think a similar builder built our house as we have had loads of problems over the years and when they investigate its usually because it wasn't built right in the first place, I think they let farmers do as they like here.

If it's any consolation, even fitting through the peaks, although reducing the volume of the leak risk it can still occur as soon as the washers degrade or get attacked.

Latest posts

Back