Coronet no3 correct head lubricant

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaci

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi to everyone, newbie on forum finally got my hands on a coronet no.3 with bowl attachments. Going to give it a clean up before installing in workshop, can someone point me in the right direction to what oil I require for the head. I also on the hunt for what shade of green it is so I can respray a few bits.
Cheers gaci

Engine oil is fine. So is 3 in 1. Basically anything will do but if it's very thin it'll run through faster.

I had an old gree coronet no.3 ... great machine!

did it actually need any lubrication ?

I never used any ...maybe I was just lucky that it didnt go wrong as a result ?

This is part of a reply I got from Record Power tools about oil for a CL3

"For reference a general multigrade engine oil that you put in your car is OK to use. It does not want to be to thin however so 3 in 1 oil is not to be used."

The manual states

"It is recommended to use Record Power RPSO-100 which is designed
specifically for use with the Record Power bronze bearing system. If this is
not available, automotive grade 30W oil can be substituted."

As yours uses the same system I would go with the above recommendations

Yes Keith the same machine. Dies anyone know the colour shade so I can touch up ?.

Well, again, I dont really know for sure...but the chap who sold it to me said it was 'British Racing Green'.

It does look like that colour, but I dont know if he was guessing or joking.

Maybe RecordPower wiil know for sure ...or maybe if you can flake a piece off you might be able to get a colour match from a good paint supplier (not sure though)

gaci":2vczdtg2 said:
Yes Keith the same machine. Dies anyone know the colour shade so I can touch up ?.

You could take the tool rest or pulley cover to a DIY shed or decorating centre and see if they can colour match it.

Keithie":220w3zhl said:
lol...well they do say 'stoopid is as stoopid does'... but are we talking about the same machine ? ...mine looked the same this .. the chrome plated bar No.3 (not a CL3)

http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/page5.html

If you look at the lathes the cl3 is the one under the record name the Number 3 is before it became the record brand.

Take a look at a CL3 and it is near enough identical

DSCF3124_zpsfae32992.jpg

DSCF5313_zpsapjqatnf.jpg

I def agree Dalboy ...they do look pretty identical ...and no doubt one is very closely based on the other. I'm not sure that even if I saw the two together I'd be able to tell the difference in the qualityof the castings or the weight...and for all I know the two have the same phosphor bronze bearings and the same lubrication requirements. But without knowing that they are indeed exactly the same in some of the details, it seems better not to assume they are...that's all I meant.

I'm more than comfy knowing that I was being stoopid by not lubricating my old lathe ...I've done many many more stoopid things in mylife than that! I'm still not sure that there was a pot to top up tho or what lubrication was needed for it. Obviously I've got a better idea with my newrecord lathe tho...sealed for life bearings seem easier! (tho maybe shorter life of course!)

You can see the filler on this pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 795
The photo with the filler cap on is the version I have and I was sure that record cl3 had bronze bearings?
I contacted record and the green paint is bs381 ,but I'm sure the person who answered my query forgot to add a few numbers on the end as bs381 search brings up a whole lot of colours ???

If you want it doing, do it yourself.
Grant

This reminded me to put a few drops of ballistol in my coronet major, it has a little place you can open and put some oil in the head stock bearing.

Gary":1nyr3v6e said:
You can see the filler on this pic.

aha! I had the one from the top two pics inthe original link I posted. No filler point on that...or at least not in the same place.

funny old world!

Got the bronze bearings out it was dry as a bone and the oil line was clogged at the bottom so it was never going to get any oil, and it ran so fine as well, I'm glad I decided to do it now.
Grant

In case it's of help, some time ago I purchased a main bearing for a Coronet Major from Derek Pyatt of Coronet Woodworking. The bearing used in the Major is exactly the same as used in the Record Coronet no.3. Derek specified using lawnmower oil to lubricate the bearing and this has worked perfectly. He also said that 3 in 1 was much too thin and multigrade oil a little too thick.

Cheers

I use EP90 in mine as that's what I saw recommended somewhere and I've always got some for the Land Rover. GL4 spec of course as GL5 is supposed to do no good to phosphor bronze bushes in gearboxes.
It might be thick but it goes in one end and comes out the other so it's bound to be doing the job.

Back