Cordless/corded drills

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot Competent

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm growing exasperated at two of my drills, Hitchi 12v. I've two chargers and three batteries. One charger died a year ago, now one of the three batteries is expiring, long before I think it should. And have you seen the price of new batteries? :cry:

I can't afford to replace the drills at the moment, so have been looking at getting a couple of mains drills until I'm more flush.

I've been looking around, and they're available for £20 - £30. But B & Q have one for only £12! Even if it doesn't last, it's a cheap answer, and I thought others might be interested. Only problem is to find a store that stocks them!

I've just been to Aldi five minutes ago and they have an 850W mains powered drill in stock for £14.99. Three year guarantee too.

Oh my! I went to B & Q to get a couple! They showed me a long list of stores around Bristol, for about 100 miles. Only one drill available, but it would be mine if I drove to Llanelli! They suggested I went to Argos, which I did, and got one for £13.99. It'll do for a start.

I had my Hitachi battery cells replaced by a firm in Conway, Wales. Sorry can't recall the name but search web. Cost per battery was £41 3 years ago. They also increased the amp hour rating keeping the voltage the same.

Wow, a whole category seems to have almost disappeared!
Bell Tools (Bedminster and Filton) don't list any on their website. As far as I can see Axminster don't either.
Argos looks like your best bet though I wouldn't be too hopeful about their "Challenge" brand.

If I pay £14 and it only lasts a few months, I've not lost very much, eh? :D I've tried the "buy expensive and it'll last" route, and been disappointed.

phil.p":2hyasbci said:
One advantage of a mains drill over a battery is the 43mm collar - useful for drill holders and stands.

Buy a decent brand like Makita :wink: my cordless drills have 43mm collars

MMUK":jor8uh5k said:
Buy a decent brand like Makita :wink: my cordless drills have 43mm collars

My cordless Makita drill doesn't have a collar at all!

In my experience, Aldi/Lidl tools are a cut above the bottom of the market. Both back them with a 3 year warranty so they have to good enough for the companies not to have keep getting stuff back.
Not refined designs but good enough for diy use

Buying cheap and rubbish just encourages more companies to make on a price rather than something that works. I really do not like sending stuff to landfill just after I bought it. I think that every company or anyone who makes anything must be responsible for their products end of life, that they have to recycle all of it or face very heavy fines. Life would be so much more joyful and environmental destruction would decline. I have a 12 volt cordless that not is attached to an old car battery. Works great, battery never runs out, but does not easily go up a ladder, luckily I do not work up ladders. I would be happy to recycle any 12 volt cordless stuff. I cannot actually now buy any batteries for my cordless stuff now so I have to buy new again if I want cordless, they have me by the ball. Go corded, its so much cheaper and lasts longer.

Myfordman":lqtyk3on said:
In my experience, Aldi/Lidl tools are a cut above the bottom of the market. Both back them with a 3 year warranty so they have to good enough for the companies not to have keep getting stuff back.

It's all very well offering a 3 year guarantee on a drill costing under £20 but how many people would actually send it back even six months down the line? Probably less than one in ten so a 3 year guarantee means very little.

MMUK":3btbrbs6 said:
Myfordman":3btbrbs6 said:

It's all very well offering a 3 year guarantee on a drill costing under £20 but how many people would actually send it back even six months down the line? Probably less than one in ten so a 3 year guarantee means very little.

I did a marketing course a few years ago. One thing I remember from it.

They said, the better guarantee you offer the less chance anyone will take you up on it.

MMUK":2o8eck5x said:

It means that you can take the tool back within three years if it breaks, which means you at least get your £20 out of it and therefore all the drilling you did in between was free. ;-)

Not much good for a professional 'cause they still had a job interrupted by a tool going wrong, but pretty good value for a home user.

I've always been wary of any machinery where there are no spares available - usually coupled with a long guarantee. If they don't provide spares they know it won't last the course. Throwaway machines are a nightmare for the environment, are usually produced by sweatshop factories and exist just to make someone rich - with no thought about customer relations, after-sales and the like.

That's my opinion anyway 8)

Latest posts

Back