Cordless circular saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the battery life and cutting capabilities like on cordless circular saws?
Just curious really. I'd really like to get one, but I begrudgingly have to admit I don't think it'd be practical for the work I do. Whilst 90% of my circular saw work is for ply and trimming doors in height which I'm sure the cordless would handle ok. But the times when doing a roof, ripping & cross cutting abrasive x2 timber where I doubt a battery saw would last 5 minutes :(

I'd still appreciate any opinions on battery circulars though, as I'm a big fan of cordless tools. I just can't get my head around how cordless tools that are put under a large of load (circulars, planers, jigsaws, angle grinders, etc) can work efficiency and have a decent battery life :?

I have a cheap 18V trimsaw - very handy for cutting sheets to fit in the car,but battery life is poor.Don't know how much better the more expensive ones are.

Andrew

Most cordless saws don't have the depth of cut for 47mm carcasing timber and would bog down on wet tanalised timber.

I have a B&D 14V one that I run off my 12V Dewalt batteries as the B&D one soon died. I use it all the time on ply,MDF, MFC, Worktops etc. I can cut 4-5 8ft lengths ogf 18mm MDF defore the 12V battery is flat.

The main advantage is that I can use it one handed which is handy if trimming something vertical.

Jason

I have the 18volt DW - very useful when cutting sheets - can be handled one handed. I have not timed how long it lasts but it is totally dependent on the depth of cut and type of board. I have a number of batteries so I just change them . Same applies to the 18V DW jigsaw.
Barry

Screwfix do this Dewalt DC759SA 18V Twin Pack for £199 inclusive of vat i think you cant go wrong with this deal i will be getting one shortly as i wanted a saw and also need to upgrade my 9.6 makita.
Regards Phil.

I'd look toward 2 main points, firstly what type of batteries the saw uses - preferably Lithium ion or NiCd - avoid NiMH like the plague.
Secondly look for a saw with a thin blade - it reduces the drag and prolongs the battery life between charges. Most professional machines will have a thin blade fitted but it;s worth checking.

Latest posts

Back