cooksley planer help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerdeira

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I've managed to buy this bit of vintage british engineering. It was a little costly to send it to Portugal but I think it was worthy since it is in very good condition for its age. It's a Cooksley BPJ planer/thicknesser and it has very small footprint for its capacity (12"x9").
The tables are just shy of 120cm and since the fence slides on a front rail it doesn't take as much space as the traditional fences with a long metal bar in the back.

Anyway I have a couple of questions about it now that I'm preparing to clean it and bring it back to work.

First I'd like to know what kind of knobs/handles would fit in the surfacing table screws. Here's a pic:
P1010015.jpg

So there's a shaft (5/8" diam) with a roll pin, but the knob is missing. I thing the knob was a removable one, since it would stand in the way of thicknessing otherwise. I can of course improvise a way to turn that shaft, but does anyone know where I could source a replacement?

Other question is about electrics. This is a 3phase machine I only have 1-phase in my garage. The main motor is dual-voltage so I can run it from an inverter but the feed motor is single voltage (400V) and dual speed. The motor plate says it can output 370 W or 180 W depending on the speed. Would I damage the motor if I also feed it through the inverter at 240V 3ph? Theoretically the motor would output 370/sqrt(3)=213 W if I run it at the highest speed. Is that ok?

many thanks.

hi,they are not knobs or handles for the rise and fall,its a tube like a tommy bar with two notches to slot over the pins,hope this helps frank.

Hi.

its a tube like a tommy bar with two notches to slot over the pins

My idea was to use a suitable box spanner with a cut on the end that would engage in the spring pin. I wasn't too far off, but I thought there may be was a more sophisticated gizmo.

Anyone else could help me reg the feed motor issue?

TIA

The motor needs to be run from 400 volt three phase.

It will have much reduced torque at 240 3 phase and will possibly not get up to synchronous speed and hence draw excessive current.

You need either a small converter (although this might behave strangely on a dual speed motor) or the best solution - a dedicated inverter of the type that step up the voltage as well as create 3phase.

It is quite easy to make a converter at that power but given your question I assume that you are not confident/competent with electrics (no offence intended!) so I won't lead you down that path.

Bob

See my motor write up link in the footer

Back