Cooker light - stuck!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any ideas how to get the glass cover off my oven light? It's completely solid. I've tried to unscrew it cold and also warm but I can't get it out at all.

Given that I'm already in the doghouse this morning I don't want to break the thing!

Cheers

(BTW it's round ... just to make it easy to get a grip of!)

Bit of cooking oil dripped on to (hopefully) ease the threads? No other suggestions, I'm afraid.

Scott, I've not tried this but how about applying a little oven cleaner (eg Mr Muscle) as close as possible to the seal/thread?

Andy

This may sound daft, but have you tried tightening it first? Sometimes that does enough to break the seal and you're home and dry. Well it sometimes works on screws and bolts anyway.

Cheers, Alf

Sometimes a very light tap with a small hammer or mallet all round will break the friction on the threads - same idea as Alf but going about it a different way - Rob

Could be that it's all gunged up with years of cooking fat...airborne.

So Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner perhaps liberally applied to the thread might help.

Or a hot air gun applied to it to make it expand and break the seal thats holding it closed?

maybe it is time to get the steam cleaner fired up and actually
clean the whole thing. :lol:

once you have applied some de-greasing agent around the screw
trying alf's tip may well be the way to go.

oryou could go mad and drill out the screw :lol: :lol:
but knowing the way things work, it may well be an odd thread.

anyway what's with this idea of wanting to repair things :twisted: :twisted:

paul :wink:

Scott":1y6bb1qj said:
It's completely solid. I've tried to unscrew it cold and also warm but I can't get it out at all.

Not really practical help but it might be worth checking that it is actually screwed in. I've been known to spend hours trying to get something undone before discovering that it isn't attached in quite the way that I thought it was.

Andrew

Oddly enough, I had exactly that problem today, trying to replace the thermostat on our cooker, and of course, to get at the 'stat, the back of the oven had to come off, and to get that off, the light cover had to come off......
On our Creda, the lamp cover isn't really "screwed" on, it was more like a bayonet fitting, and after trying most of the tips in this thread, it suddenly came off as easy as pie.
BUT, the d*** thermostat seems to be no better than the original. Anyone out there know what is an acceptable error on these things? When the 'stat says the oven is 130C, it's actually nearer 160C. Do I have a case for sending it back to the manufacturer with that degree of error?

is it gas or electric
if its gas try leaving the oven on its highest setting for about 1 hr as a lot of ovens have a catalyst built into the linings which are designed to clean themselves when at max temp, this should help with grease problem,
also by my experienc majority of light fittings for ovens are held in by a spring loaded unit so u may not actually have to unscrew anything.

cheers
shaun

p.s. have you tried to contact the manufacturer to see how its removed

as to the person who is changing the oven thermostat i hope its not gas as you r contraveening gas safety regs if it is so.

prawnking":1ja4nlk7 said:
as to the person who is changing the oven thermostat i hope its not gas as you r contraveening gas safety regs if it is so.

Not so - this is another very common misconception.You need to be qualified if you are working with gas for reward (i.e. it is your job) but for DIY,you only need to be competent - so if you know what you are doing,and do it correctly,it is perfectly legal.
Same as Part P and DIY electrical work - many people believe that you now have to have a qualified electrician to do any electrical work,whereas this is not actually the case at all.

However,common sense should be applied to both - safety is paramount,so if uncertain,then consult a professional [-X

Andrew

PowerTool":yvzxk1lx said:
Same as Part P and DIY electrical work - many people believe that you now have to have a qualified electrician to do any electrical work,whereas this is not actually the case at all.

Ummm..agreed you don't need an electrician provided that you go through the rigmarole of getting building control involved for a lot of the electrical stuff that you used to be able to do :evil:

ok we are going to go off again, but i thought i had been told, you can repair and replace, but not actually extend under part p. :?

the whole thing about the gas though is whether or not you actually
touch the gas flow. if not, then you do not need to be corgi.

paul

Both, I think!

I was being an engineer and responding to the post, as I read it, which suggested that you can go ahead willy-nilly and do your own stuff without an electrician...just trying to clarify to say actually you can't..it all depends...as you rightly say!

being a technical gas engineer i do believe that legislation changed only a few years ago to say that you r only deemed competent if you have been assesed to gain an ACS qualification, to work in your own home and then become corgi registered to work for reward. under no circumstance should any work be carried out on gas carrying components unless you r accredited to do so.
i do belive that most thermostats on gas ovens r linked directly to the gas tap as they r built, so to change the oven thermostat you would have to remove the gas tap, hence breaking into the gas supply [-X [-X if you did.

i am led to believe it is similar for part p with regards too you can work in your own home if you can prove you r compatent to do so but it must be put in writing first as to what u intend to do and then has to be checked by a part p qualified electrician.

anyway this was just some free friendly advice saying becarefull you may get into trouble.

cheers

shaun

Didn't intend to infer that you can do things willy-nilly :oops:

Just didn't go into much detail,as I feel the subject has been done to death previously (like dadoes..) and have no desire to start another "enthusiastic discussion" :lol:

Andrew

so as usual what it means is that whoever looked at the papers
most recently has the right answer :lol: :lol: :lol:

roger, like you my view is maybe,
prawn king the gas thing i have always understood.
mind you like everybody of a certain age, i have
in the past smoked whilst trying to weld a petrol
tank on a racing bike at the circuit with only a couple
of minutes to go before the race.

lucky me i still have the hair, but the brains are a bit singed.

my personal reading of what i have been told in part p is
that if the part you are working on can be isolated, and is not before the
main inwards feed, you have some chance of not being caught with
your nuts in a wringer. however, if you want to add another circuit
for instance, and wire it in to the breaker box you have to
have a cert, or a proper electrician. :?

what do i know :twisted:

paul :wink:

Reading the latest April 2006 version of Part P, they do seem to have gone a long way with giving examples of things that are notifiable.

It kind of makes sense :?

Back