Converting analogue video to PC files

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeElms

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an analogue video to PC conversion device that works well, and isn't too expensive?

Is it possible to achieve quality comparable to recording analogue video to a DVD with a DVD recorder, or is this unobtainable without expensive equipment? Reading reviews I find people saying that a cheap (£10-20) device is either perfect or doesn't work at all (5 star and 1 star reviews for the same device). The video source is SD resolution video from a Sky HD+ box.

Happy to pay a reasonable amount for something that will actually work!

I used one of these to convert some old VHS recordings to digital videos. Cost £20 at the time, but is now £33. Had no issues at all and did everything I wanted. A suitable device will depend on the outputs available on the Sky box though. Prepare for it to take a long time, as you basically have to play each video in full to capture it, then may need to convert it using other software and then burn to DVD (or whatever you want to use for storage). If there are companies near you that offer the service it may be better getting a price from them as they should already have quality gear for doing this and you can save a huge amount of time

Sean

Sky boxes are encrypted and can only be played with the box

Most likely true, but devices like the one I linked capture the unencrypted output played from the box, the same as a TV would, i.e. you press play on the Sky box and the device would copy the sound and video and write it to disk on whatever laptop/computer it's connected to

Sean

@seanf Thanks for the recommendation. However, on reading the reviews on Amazon, one mentions that the sodtware doesn't record over a long period of time (the reviewer recommended recording in 30 minutes chunks) -- that is not any good for me (see below).

Sky video is encrypted on the box, but can be played from the box for the purpose of recording (presumed onto VHS!) - only in real-time of course. I can record to DVD using a DVD recorder, but only one DVD each 'session' (i.e. generally overnight), so it's quite a slow process if I want to 'backup' a large number of recordings.

@seanfSky video is encrypted on the box, but can be played from the box for the purpose of recording (presumed onto VHS!) - only in real-time of course. I can record to DVD using a DVD recorder, but only one DVD each 'session' (i.e. generally overnight), so it's quite a slow process if I want to 'backup' a large number of recordings.
There's no way to record faster since you're restricted to capturing at playback speed.
Once you make a DVD, you can make multiple copies of the same DVD, no need to repeat the capture.

Can anyone recommend an analogue video to PC conversion device that works well, and isn't too expensive?

Is it possible to achieve quality comparable to recording analogue video to a DVD with a DVD recorder, or is this unobtainable without expensive equipment? Reading reviews I find people saying that a cheap (£10-20) device is either perfect or doesn't work at all (5 star and 1 star reviews for the same device). The video source is SD resolution video from a Sky HD+ box.

Happy to pay a reasonable amount for something that will actually work!
I assume since you mentioned Sky HD+ box, you can output via HDMI - if you can, check out the following test\review:

They're on a well known auction site for about a tenner.

Out of curiosity what is it that you are wanting to get off the Sky box?

@Dibs-h The HDMI output is for connection to the TV, I'll have to check if the facility to output a series of programs sends the programs to the HDMI output as well as the SCART. I would still have the complication of disconnecting the lead from the TV - perhaps an HDMI switch box would handle this. Sky don't make it easy!

Thanks for the recommendation. However, on reading the reviews on Amazon, one mentions that the sodtware doesn't record over a long period of time (the reviewer recommended recording in 30 minutes chunks)
Strange, as I used it to make copies of some childhood VHS based movies and had no issues recording a couple of hours or so in one go. Possibly a file size limit if that reviewer was using an older computer or one not 64bit, etc. Anyway, the one I linked may not be the best for you as it will all depend on the outputs on your Sky box - a HDMI version would be better but I was limited to the outputs available on an old VCR I used to play the tapes

Sean

@Dibs-h The HDMI output is for connection to the TV, I'll have to check if the facility to output a series of programs sends the programs to the HDMI output as well as the SCART. I would still have the complication of disconnecting the lead from the TV - perhaps an HDMI switch box would handle this. Sky don't make it easy!
I think you would just need to take a HDMI cable from the Sky HD+ box to the capture device I linked to. The Sky box would just output the signal - it wouldn't care what device is consuming the signal. And therefore skip the SCART.

As for getting the Sky box to play\output all your recordings - looks it it can - Copying programmes to DVD | Sky Help | Sky.com

Edit: Looks like you can get USB3 versions of that device. If you laptop\PC has a USB3 port, I'd go with a USB3 version (assuming it isn't stupidly more than a USB2 version).

@raffo I'm not wanting to record faster, but am wanting to be able to record longer. The reviewer said that the software could only support 30 minutes recordings.
It's not unusual for reviewers to not know what they're talking about or not know what is going on.

One thing you can count on is that the software any of these devices will come with will probably be mediocre. You may be able to use other video editing software out there.

If you don't have many to do there are small businesses that convert tapes to DVD starting at $10 and $15 to a thumb drive. Well that's the starting rate here.

Pete

Back