Converting a pillar drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadeye

Established Member
Reaction score
The one dissatisfaction I have with my Meddings DrillTru is that it's a bore to raise and lower the table.
Might it be possible to covert it to rack and pinion, or is that likely to be so impractical that I'd be better biting the bullet and trading for a newer model?

The one dissatisfaction I have with my Meddings DrillTru is that it's a bore to raise and lower the table.
Might it be possible to covert it to rack and pinion, or is that likely to be so impractical that I'd be better biting the bullet and trading for a newer model?
I have the same gripe with mine, I can't see how a conversion would be feasible, so I'm keeping an eye out for a cheap replacement.

The table rise and fall on a classic fobco 7-eight is great in comparison.
Notionally you could retrofit the table from one of those onto the meddings if you had use of a lathe to make sleeves to adapt the fobco parts to the slimmer column of the meddings.
I've used a 7-eight and a Meddings MF4 with the two speed gearbox and think the head of the Meddings is machined to tighter tolerances, but it's table is small, heavy and a pain in the *ss to adjust.
If you have money to burn, buy both, build a hybrid and make us all jealous :)

Or just buy a gear head beast from Meyer. All you need is space and the patience to find a used one for the right money ...

seen a few conversions on the web either using a pulley and balance weights and or a gas powerd cylinder like those used on the tail gate of a car.....
remember there are loads of those cylinders with differing pressures to help with ballance/weight........
On my T4 there are at least 3 different cylinders for the tailgate depending on how many and rough weight of bikes mounted on a rack.....
There are lists of lengths/pressures and end fittings.....but most suppliers will be able to suggest what would be best.....
Ur prob is long stroke and low weight........
My meddings will get the pulley system as its easy to adjust....but not so smart.......

slightly different but the buckets on the back of my lathe chuck guard were the first attempt to balance out the guard.
Looks a lot better now.....I wanted the guard that tall so that I could use the orig stalk light and use armour'd glass...I hate perspex....
yes the place is a mess....must try harder........
DSCN1845.JPG

seen a few conversions on the web either using a pulley and balance weights and or a gas powerd cylinder like those used on the tail gate of a car.....
remember there are loads of those cylinders with differing pressures to help with ballance/weight........
On my T4 there are at least 3 different cylinders for the tailgate depending on how many and rough weight of bikes mounted on a rack.....
There are lists of lengths/pressures and end fittings.....but most suppliers will be able to suggest what would be best.....
Ur prob is long stroke and low weight........
My meddings will get the pulley system as its easy to adjust....but not so smart.......

slightly different but the buckets on the back of my lathe chuck guard were the first attempt to balance out the guard.
Looks a lot better now.....I wanted the guard that tall so that I could use the orig stalk light and use armour'd glass...I hate perspex....
yes the place is a mess....must try harder........
View attachment 167024
SGS sell those has powered shocks if you could weight the table and measure it's travel they might have something suitable?

I have a Meddings DrillTru and wanted to do the same, it's a bench top model not floor pedestal type so not a lot of travel room, I adapted a standard car scissor jack, which worked a treat but hardly used it so removed a few months ago. I found it's quicker and easier - in my case - to just leave the table where it is and use a selection of ply and chipboard offcuts as packers under the workpiece.

What I'd like is the ability to raise and lower the table without losing the registration, but think about it, I expect even the rack and pinion models still have some play.

I have a Meddings DrillTru and wanted to do the same, it's a bench top model not floor pedestal type so not a lot of travel room, I adapted a standard car scissor jack, which worked a treat but hardly used it so removed a few months ago. I found it's quicker and easier - in my case - to just leave the table where it is and use a selection of ply and chipboard offcuts as packers under the workpiece.
That's my current way of working, but makes clamping a PITA

Have exactly the same issue and did do a bit of research on the subject. I did find spare parts from some of Sealey’s range that would fit as they shared the same diameter pillar as mine but cost made me abandon upgrading. I also found links on eBay to buy racks and pinions but without means of fabricating housings etc I settled on what most do…have the table at an acceptable height for most tasks and just add spacers on top of it to raise stuff that needed to be closer to the chuck.

How about trying the scissor jack from your car boot, don't forget to put it back. If that works you can decide whether to buy a bottle jack or small scissor jack or similar.

Or, thinking aloud, I have some quick release clamps that can be reversed to push not pull when you squeeze the handle. Could one if those be adapted somehow?

What I'd like is the ability to raise and lower the table without losing the registration, but think about it, I expect even the rack and pinion models still have some play.
Apparently one of the reasons (cost being a basic one, I expect) was that Meddings didn't fit tilting tables was that accuracy would be lost - maybe the same thought was applied to a rack and pinion. (I have a DrillTru.)

Thats what I would try as a first option. You just have to always remember to undo the locking handle on the table before pumping it up.
Regards
John
Perhaps modify the locking handle so that it is removable for use as the jack handle?

Back