Convering tools to Festool Plug-It System

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever retrofitted the Festool Plug-It system onto other manufacturer's powertools?

I love the fact that I just have one cable lying around for most of my tools and would like to convert a DeWalt biscuit joiner and router table to the system.

Thanks

TheDudester

Wouldn't that be a good idea!

You'd need to find space for a kettle socket in each tool and then cut into the casework to install it. Unfortunately I think these problems would make the project too difficult.

It's such a fantastic solution though I'm surprised it hasn't been copied by all the other manufacturers.

Well, fitting the exact socket might be difficult, but there is nothing to stop you cutting off the cable to just 6" (not when it's plugged in, of course...) and fitting an in-line connector such as is used on garden tools.

Cheers
Steve

iwood":2dcuxbcw said:
It's such a fantastic solution though I'm surprised it hasn't been copied by all the other manufacturers.

Agreed!

Steve, I found this on the Festool website; Plug-It Conversion Kit

Looks like it will be possible after all as long as long as you don't need an earth?

TheDudester

Just used the Plug-conversion kit above to convert three old Festo tools, will be doing the same with other tools from other brands. Most modern tools will be double-insulated and not have an earth connection (the Plug-it conversion cable as has been mentioned is only two core live and neutral). If the tool is metal cased and has an earth in the standard lead DO NOT CONVERT.

The pre-cut tails will need to be cut to the required length to suit the connector arrangement inside the tool and the to set the sheath at the appropriate length to ensure good clamping in order to prevent the inner cores being pulled.

The packaging lists the following as suitable for conversion : RS2, RS3, RS400/RS4, DS400, ES125, OF1000, OF900, ATF65, AT 65, AP55, AP65 and EHL 65.

The picture on the packaging shoes an RO150E with a conversion lead -go figure! :D Let's say that you don't want to exceed the power requirements of any of the items Festool have actually listed on the packaging.

There is also the warning that repairs to electric power tools and electrical components may only be carried out by trained electricians.

A few advantages - tools now fit easily into their respective boxes no need to slam shut lids as the ccoiled cable tries to jump out at you or fould on the case as you close the lid. Some cases it is obvious that the only time the cables would fit properly is when the tool was initially packaged with all the cable ties and other packaging. You can keep say two good condition leads (one short, one long) rather than whatever happens to be on the tool and safety - very easy to isolate power totally (and see that it is isolated) when changing bits/attachments, the easier it is the more likely you are to do it. Also the obvous point that you can change tools where you are working and not have a multiplugs/adapaters/extension leads everywhere.

Trumpet":3luj9m5z said:
Some cases it is obvious that the only time the cables would fit properly is when the tool was initially packaged with all the cable ties and other packaging.

Hi Trumpet

Thanks for the information. I couldn't agree more with the above and most other things you said.

Welcome to the forums.

TheDudester

iwood":23ylpa7r said:
It's actually Festool copying others in this instance. Kress came to market with the idea on their range of tools more than 8 years back with a patented system and I have a Kress angle grinder with their system which works well.

patente_netzkabel.jpg

Although Kress aren't well known here, some firms like Wickes sell their stuff under the house banner, and Kress do manufacture tools for other firms (e.g. Porter-Cable sell some Kress SDS hammers as their own, and even Lamello and Mafell have used Kress motors in some of their products)

Scrit

Evening,
When I lived in Japan, some of the contractors I worked with had "unknown brand" Japanese made electric tools. They all had a plug/socket system, but it was magnetic and if you tripped over it etc., it just pulled the lead out - not the tool onto the floor!
It was nearly a flush system and looked very smart, but I guess for 110Volts, it can be smaller than ours.

Colin

Sailor":1liorktc said:
but I guess for 110Volts, it can be smaller than ours.
Not always the case, for the same power you are drawing twice the current, so for bigger tools the conductors will need to be thicker.

Yeah, I lived in Japan for a couple of years too and thought those magnetic power leads were great. Household appliances like kettles have them also. The connecting surface was quite large so I'd imagine they could handle a fairly beefy current (my kettle was 1800 watt if I remember correctly).

Ian

Scrit":kdr6rkc0 said:
[]Kress[/url] came to market with the idea on their range of tools more than 8 years back.... .[Scrit

Manufacturers of tools and other products are always looking for new "features" to woo buyers with. Often IME worthless ones. And yet they can overlook such obviously beneficial developments for so long. Incredible really.

Back