Contrasting timber for brown oak sideboard?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great, thanks. I'll have to try to remember next year 🤣 i often pass through that way when i go see family.

If the timber is nicely figured or in some way more unique, its worth whatever you are happy to pay. Some pieces can look so good it's like art 🙃

Great, thanks. I'll have to try to remember next year 🤣 i often pass through that way when i go see family.

If the timber is nicely figured or in some way more unique, its worth whatever you are happy to pay. Some pieces can look so good it's like art 🙃
Indeed so. I am very happy with my purchase.

Thanks also to everyone for all the suggestions and ideas - it's really developed my thinking.

I will aim to post an update once I finalise the design and start building.

Finally finished the oak and sycamore sideboard from the wood I bought at the Stock Gaylard Oak Fair last August.

Frame and drawer sides are sycamore; panels, doors and drawer fronts are brown oak, top is London plane.

Some photos:
IMG_0545.jpeg
IMG_0546.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0549.jpeg

IMG_0552.jpeg

...Two sliding doors each end, with inner drawers and three central drawers. I used Blum Movento Tip-on drawer runners to get full extension opening with soft close and push to open, to avoid the need for drawer handles (which would have fouled the sliding doors). Sliding doors also use Blum Movento drawer runners to get a soft-close action.

Proud of the dovetails - first use of a secondhand Woodrat I bought off eBay (what a wonderful tool that is!)

Interior lined with Forbo furniture lino for contrast.

Finished in Oslo Top Oil clear satin.

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

looks fantastic. Great contrast with the wood choice and the lining.

I like the pictures on the wall as well. Are you the photographer?
No, I'm afraid not. The one on the left is by an old school friend Jim Munday home: Jim Munday Photography

Edit: I see you are near Shepton Mallet - you might be interested that the timber all came from Rupert Furneaux of Land Logic Timber at Ditcheat near Shepton (www.land-logic.co.uk). He has a great selection of kiln-dried English hardwood boards.

No, I'm afraid not. The one on the left is by an old school friend Jim Munday home: Jim Munday Photography

Edit: I see you are near Shepton Mallet - you might be interested that the timber all came from Rupert Furneaux of Land Logic Timber at Ditcheat near Shepton (www.land-logic.co.uk). He has a great selection of kiln-dried English hardwood boards.
Great tip on the timber yard. I didn’t know they were there. I usually go to Interesting Timbers for air dried and Timber Source for kiln dried. Looks like I’m spoilt for choice with three good yards within five miles.

Photography is one of my many other hobbies 😀

...Two sliding doors each end, with inner drawers and three central drawers. I used Blum Movento Tip-on drawer runners to get full extension opening with soft close and push to open, to avoid the need for drawer handles (which would have fouled the sliding doors). Sliding doors also use Blum Movento drawer runners to get a soft-close action.

Proud of the dovetails - first use of a secondhand Woodrat I bought off eBay (what a wonderful tool that is!)

Interior lined with Forbo furniture lino for contrast.

Finished in Oslo Top Oil clear satin.

View attachment 165633
View attachment 165635

View attachment 165632
That certainly is a lovely piece. Beautifully proportioned and nicely detailed. Congratulations.
FS8.jpg

It would be interesting to see how it fares in the long term. I made this firescreen and accompanying stationery box in brown oak and sycamore. After 20 years in a room that gets only a little late afternoon sun the sycamore has darkened (as expected) but to my surprise the brown oak has lightened considerably. I still love the form and visual rhythm of the firescreen's alternating curved and flat surfaces but, overall, both pieces have lost much of their original drama.

Jim

After 20 years in a room that gets only a little late afternoon sun the sycamore has darkened (as expected) but to my surprise the brown oak has lightened considerably.
Jim
What you've observed about brown oak lightening over time is a characteristic I noticed a good number of years ago. The attached picture shows a cabinet I made out of English oak for the carcase and brown oak for the door frame: just in case it's not obvious the brown oak parts are at the top right. As can be seen the doorframe is very close to the colour of the surrounding carcase framing. When new the colours between the two parts were very different. Slainte.

Brown-Oak-English-Oak-600.jpg

Back