Consumer Rights

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Andy

As you're in business I'm not sure that the Sale of Goods Act really protects you - isn't that consumer legislation rather than commercial? Either way I'd agree with a previous poster that you should expect a reasonable period out of an item before repair/replacement becomes necessary - say 3 to 5 years (a normal write-down period for industrial tools - and at around £100 to £120 that jigsaw is an industrial tool). Supplying you with defective goods which failed prematurely was a breach of contract, although you'd probably find that the vendor has some form of get out clause on their terms and conditions - and challenging that might well take a court case. I'd agree with the comment that Trading Standards should be involved at the earliest possible time

Good luck

Scrit

Just thought I'd chip in here. Whenever I've had faulty goods (computer bits, not power tools) I've often found it's better to go straight to the manufacturer and dealt with them. They usually have better customer service setups than the retailers and on the two occasions I can think of, they've sent me replacement products with little fuss.

Might be worth a try.

J

The only problem with the above is that whilst it may work and be a pragmatic solution to the problem, it only helps the retailer avoid their legal responsibilities and will do nothing to force them to improve their after sales service.

I know how hard I have to work and the quality of service I have to provide to my customers in order to earn their business / my salary and if I don't feel that a retailer is prepared to offer the same commitment and quality of service to me he won't be getting my money. At the risk of opening old wounds, we pay handsomely in this country for almost everything we buy and until we start to demand better service and value we will always be in this position.

Try to remember that no matter what they think, nobody has a divine right to your custom and they should earn it in the same way we have to.

I am given to understand that Wickes has recently been taken over by Travis Perkins ( another company that will never see my custom again, due to the ignorant and condescending attitude of the spotty oik behind the counter), because they where having trouble attracting non trade business into there trade outlets. I can't begin to think why!!!!
In light of this it may be worth a call to Travis Perkins to let them know how their drive to attract custom is working ( not ).

Don't let them get away with it, unless we all make a stand standards will never improve.

Sorry rant over, I'll slip away quietly now and go back to the day job of Union shop steward, sorry I mean salesman.

Richard

Mark Hancock":3569ja3d said:
I would have thought that as it's not fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act you would be entitled to full refund :?:

Surely it is fit for purpose though? These are cheap tools and the plating does not affect the performance (if i have understood the nature of the problem correctly).

One cannot take a car back and complain about stone chips after 6 months of driving - or can you??

I don't think the issue is "fit for purpose" rather "satisfactory quality" and if after six months the paint or chrome was peeling of my new car I would be straight back to the dealer and I suspect you would too.

Richard

Spoke to trading standards this morning and was told that they only have an obligation to repair or replace in a reasonable time frame, the fact that I do not have the tools to do my job now is irrelevant and if I insist on a refund they can deduct some of the money I paid for use i have already had out of it, which is not much.
Now my initial irritation at Wickes has faded I will probably go with the flow, accept what they offer and just learn.
They were left in no doubt of my opinions on saturday and maybe life is too short.
I have no argument with Hitachi who sent me a free dust extraction coupler for my circular saw a couple of weeks ago, it was Wickes attitude and there is no point festering over it.
Regards Andy

Latest posts

Back