Conservatory - Wet Rot Problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanflyer

Established Member
Reaction score
Just moved in recently, and as you can see the conservatory needs some TLC!

No problem replacing the beading, however do you use sealant behind the beading to stop water ingress?

The horizontal piece you can see on the photos, how will that be fixed into the timber, or should I just cut straight though and splice in a new piece. What is the easiest way to cut it out without making amess of the surrounding woodwork?

Also how would this affect it structurally.

Hope you can help.

Dean

How far has the rot penetrated in to that horizontal piece? It looks pretty bad, so I reckon it's best to remove all the wet stuff and splice a new piece in place. Once you've removed all the loose stuff, if the stuff you're left with is only slightly damp then you should be able to treat it with a Wet Rot Hardener (Ronseal) that'll allow you to basically build on to this surface, whether that means layers of filler or new timber.

I would put a bead of sealant on top as well to stop any water getting in behind. You may also find it helps to plane a slight bevel on the top edge so the water runs off and down towards the cill and can not 'sit' still.

Back