Confused myself

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphatec

Reaction score
Hi
I know this has been flogged to death on this forum, I know because I must have read every post so apoligise if your repeating yourself.

Started off looking to build a simple shaker style wardrobe for my grandaughters bedroom easy enough a box with 2 doors.
Build a frame 3/4 x 3" oak put a 1/4" groove in it and slide in 1/4" oak veneered mdf and glue up. do this for 2 side panels and the doors. Rout a 1/4" slot for the back panel. Use 18mm oak veneered mfd for top,bottom and shelf. Edge this with the iron on oak edging.

The problem arose when I started going through the past posts to see if I was on right track and what really impressed me was the painted mrmdf the quality of work is superb so next step go for painted mdf as it has a softer looking finish for a girls room were the oak might be to old looking.
So I am back to where I started a simple box with 2 doors but the qustions now are.
Do I use 22mm or 18mm mrmdf for sides, top, bottom and shelf.
Do I use18mm with 6mm panel for doors or go bigger.
Can I use european hinges to hold doors.
What is the best method for jointing mdf my prefered method is dowell and glue is this strong enough.

If I look at past posts I could find numerous different answers to above and each of them a valid solution from peoples personal preferences and experience, an example would be an mdf shaker doors some make stiles and rails as normal some people glue strip to front only and somepeople glue strips to both sides.

I know these are basic questions for you but they are not for me so your patience is appreciated.

Terry

alphatec":1yem7i2j said:
So I am back to where I started a simple box with 2 doors but the qustions now are.
Do I use 22mm or 18mm mrmdf for sides, top, bottom and shelf.
I usually use 18mm for the carcass, 18 or 22mm for shelves, depending on width. Lipping them helps reduce sag.

Do I use18mm with 6mm panel for doors or go bigger.
Full height doors? Usually 22mm rails and sties with either a 6mm or 9mm panel; 18mm is OK for the rails/stiles on small cabinet doors, but I wouldn't use it on a full-height door.

Can I use european hinges to hold doors.
Concealed hinges are ideal - I like Blum concealed hinges with built-in soft close.

What is the best method for jointing mdf my prefered method is dowell and glue is this strong enough.
Yes; all my carcasses are glued (Polyten PVA) and screwed (Spax M-cut) with dominoes for alignment - dowels should be fine, as long as you can align them accurately. You can also use pocket-hole screws on faces that won't be seen.

If I look at past posts I could find numerous different answers to above and each of them a valid solution from peoples personal preferences and experience, an example would be an mdf shaker doors some make stiles and rails as normal some people glue strip to front only and somepeople glue strips to both sides.
Well, yes - many ways to skin a cat, and all that. I've made 'shaker-style' panel doors using every possible method, but the one I've settled on now is to groove 22mm MR MDF rails and stiles, glue the panel in and use loose tenons to hold everything together. But it does require a table mounted router capable of swinging a decent sized groover; if you don't have these, then any of the other methods will work perfectly well - as I say, I've done them all over the years, and I haven't had any issues or failures.

HTH Peter

I tend to prefer using melamine faced chipboard for the carcase, which looks good in a wood grain and a contrast to the painted doors. Also painting an mdf carcase is quite a lot of work.

Yes Concealed type hinges work well. Make the carcase flush to the inside of the face frame. Use 15 mm cranked hinges and mark out so drill holes for hinge plates are 37mm + door thickness back from face.

I use 25mm thick tulipwood and 9mm mr mdf panels, 9.3mm groove 15mm deep.

Face frames for wardrobes I use 40 or 50mm wide jambs and 80mm wide rails (wider rails allows for plinth and cornice to be attached leaving say 30mm visible on the face)

Hi Gentleman
Thanks for your responses, I had a look at your websites both first class work.

Terry

Back