Concrete counter tops - anyone made some?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey Mark

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm considering concrete counter tops when we eventually get round to the new kitchen.

There seems to be various different methods of doing this i.e. cast in place, over skim, or making in a mold then locating, so wondered if anyone on here had made any? If you have, which method did you use and how did it turn out?

Cheers, Mark

Good post Mark, I'll be watching this thread with interest as I've had a few requests for concrete topped furniture but haven't felt confident enough to say yes.

I've tried, but I just cant come up with any reason to have concrete work surfaces.
What on earth is the attraction?

Some good advice and links, thanks.
sunnybob":2hapjwfr said:
I've tried, but I just cant come up with any reason to have concrete work surfaces.
What on earth is the attraction?
For myself, three main reasons.
Firstly, our kitchen shape means the next layout will likely be a U shape. I'd like to go for a seamless finish.
Secondly, cheap worktops tend to look exactly that, cheap. I can't stretch to solid wood or granite so think concrete could be a possible solution.

Thirdly, i intend to make an outdoor BBQ area in a curved shape and think concrete could give a good finish in any shape i decide on and cope with the outdoor conditions nicely.

I think it was "all the rage" on grand designs about 10 years ago, as ever it takes years for the fashion to filter down to the man on the street who hasn't got 400k plus to build a plush pad in Cheshire :D

I like the idea cos it's cheap to do, very customisable and requires little in the way of skill to get a working counter top.

Terrazzo is ancient tech, what comes around goes around (and tech makes things easier).

I'd be interested in a wip on this as well - its something I've been considering dabbling in for a while.

Back