Concealed hinges for 25mm carcass

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petertheeater

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all. I've made a couple of small cabinets the doors are 19mm veneered msg and the carcasses are 26mm veneered Mdf. I didn't stop to think that the sides are thicker than the usual 28 or 19mm. Consequently the standard concealed hinges won't work.
Blum are the only supplier I can see that do a standard concealed hinge for thicker cabinet sides. But my catalogue is a bit old so not sure if they still do it. I have been looking online but with no luck. Anybody come across this problem before. Any suggestions of suppliers or work-a rounds greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Peter

This could be an option, sink the whole hinge below the surface by 7mm. This would in effect reduce the thickness of the carcass to 19mm which would allow the standard hinges to work.

I wouldve thought by slightly increasing the hole distance to edge and minimising the hinge adjustment, you would get enough cover of door over side. Just be careful the back of the door doesnt bind

Could you change the doors to inset rather than overlay? If so, depth of carcass won't matter.

BTW, what's 'msg'?

I'm sure hafele have one in their catalogue but it needs a 40mm hole not the usual 35mm.

Hi all. Thanks for replies.
I can't sink the hinge into the sides by 7mm as it would be unsightly.
Increasing the disance of hinge hole to edge doesnt quite get far enough over without having to adjust the door outward too far. The door is seen from the side so again doesn't look great.
The architect's design has a handles design that wont allow inset doors.
Can't see one in Hafele catalogue, although mine is a bit dated now.
Just an update in case anyone searches for a similar problem. Experimenting in the workshop I found some old Wurth 170 degree hinges that will work (cup hole needs to be further in). However I dont have enough of them for all the doors. I have never found ordering from wurth a particularly easy experience and have no record of the type of hinges. Icidently other 170 degree hinges dont seem to do it.
I gave the excellent and knowledgeable staff at Daro factors a ring and were very helpful. Apparently there is a Blum 'nil protrusion' hinge that, although not designed for this task, will work.
I will try them tomorrow and update.
Thanks.

Blum Nil Protrusion concealed hinges seem the way to go.

The Grass standard 95d hinges with 40mm cup will overlay 28mm if required part no 322.13.630 in my book.

Latest posts

Back