Computer/Windows Question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisR

Established Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but I thought that Microsoft support for Windows XP, had finished.

The reason I ask, is because when closing down my computer this morning I had the message on screen, not to switch off computer as seven updates were being down loaded.

I have had this message many times before, with various numbers of updates, being downloaded, not a problem.

But if support for XP has ended, I am curious/concerned as to where these updates are now coming from. :shock:

Many thanks.

Chris R.

Don't know bout these strange M/saft thingies, but did you know Mr Maddex that your signature was first uttered by Lady Caroline Lamb towards Lord Byron???

I don't have anything to do with XP now, but from what I did have, it is one of the better programmes that M/saft ever tolled out. We do have a Windoze PC still, but it doesn't get swithced on very often and never connected to anything that might infect it like the web.

Hi John

I did know that.

Newstead abbey is just up the road from me.

Pete

i have had a few customers stuck at 100% update over last few days with xp
took nearly 3hrs to complete
just be patient

With our high speed ADSL line that would probably be about 3 daze? 1/2 meg line if we are lucky :shock:

The reason I know Pete is I have the 't' shirt, literally! My sis-in-law bought it for me years back 8) 8) It goes with my "The only thing I have to declair is my genius" 't' shirt she bought me, and my "I can multi task, I can talk and pis s you off at the same time" and others. Not true obviously :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :twisted:

wouldn't think u will get explorer updates
that stopped at version 8 on XP

not that i use that or xp

even on win 8 i use chrome instead

Steve, I stand, sit and lie corected mate :oops: :oops: but then again I am one who has seen the light at the end of the tunnel and it ain't a train? I have been on Macs for several years now and had lost touch with M/soft and all the odd things they do..

This link may help the OP http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/internet-e ... ernatives/

Lots of alternatives on there. I use Firefox. I wasn't too sure of it at first but I swear by it now and not at it :roll:

Many thanks John, for the link.

But all above my head I am afraid, also my service provider only supports/provide (Microsoft Internet Explorer).

I am not at all computer savvy. #-o

Take care.

Chris R.

Here's our blog on the subject:
http://www.bristolitcompany.com/bitc-blog/167-rip-windows-xp
It was published in April 2013 and doesn't cover everything, but Microsoft walk away on April 8th 2014.

If you have a connection to the net, be aware that any bad guys out there will be aiming for XP particularly because, (a) the user base is so enormous, and (b) it won't get updated after April. If they have tricks up their black sleeves, they won't use them until after April, when the opposition has walked off the pitch for good.

You could still run it quite happily on a machine that has no connection to the internet, but that's of very limited use to most people.

E.

Back