Computer aided design software?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkling27

Reaction score
Hey, I've been thinking of using computer software to draw my patterns on so that i can use them more than once. Has anyone got any recommendations?
It would be even more useful if this program has the option to send the pattern to a machine to cut it out. One day i may be able to afford one :p

If you draw your patterns by hand and that works for you, why not just scan your patterns and save them to your computer.

A scanner is probably cheaper than many of the dedicated art packages.

For portraits and fretwork stuff and altering pics and existing patterns, I use Paint Shop Pr (Corel) and Photoshop (Adobe), but these were expensive, although I believe you can find early versions reasonably priced.

They also take time to learn, I have been using them for a lot of years, now for various graphic stuff, but still had to follow a tutorial and practice like mad in order to use them for pattern making. There are free tutorials, luckily, on some of the other scrollsaw forums.

Hope this helps

Sue

For simply drawiing patterns, I would say any vector drawing package will be fine.

The probelm with scanning in your hand-drawn images is that they will be bitmap rather than vector and so not easily edited.

I have used CorelDraw since 1991 (version 2 then, version 13 now) and it is fantastic for every kind of drawing and incredibly powerful. Also, there is a tool for converting scanned images into vector drawings.

If you are not sure of the difference between vector and bitmap (photo or scan etc.), the fundamental difference is:

Bitmap. Images represented by coloured pixels. I.e. each dot on the image (or screen) has a colour associated with it, and these together create an image. There is no concept of a circle or line etc., just coloured dots next to each other.

Vector. Each shape is geometric and defined by coordinates. e.g. a line has start and finish coordinates and joins these points together. A line (or other shape) is thus easily edited.

Latest posts

Back