Compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markblue777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have seen a few posts on here with regards to the topic but want some opinions.

This is to be used in a DIY/home workshop capacity I imagine I will run
brad nailer, framing nailer (possibly not a certain though), spray gun (only spraying small projects, and if capable may want to use it to say spray a fence or wall once in a blue moon etc) and possibly some other air tools like drill and sander (not really needed but if i can get away with using them then bonus).

I want to know what I can really get away with, I have not got loads of cash spare and space is a limiting factor, I know the machines below are all around 97 dB(A) sound wise, but if you know of anything that is quieter that would be great

So I am thinking of buying one of the following:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-zbw...liateWindow-_-Sub+Networks-_-DeepLink-_-78888

http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-8...pressor-with-5-piece-accessory-kit-240v/48089

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p17751 - (25 litre, SIP site says its good for spraying, that it does 3.5CFM free air delivery and 145 psi/ 10 bar max)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p93604 - (25 litre, SIP site states that it does 4 CFM free air delivery and 116PSI /8 bar)

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p79009 - (50 litre, SIP site states that it does 5.4 CFM free air delivery and 116PSI/ 8 bar)

Is there a minimum CFM that I want to be looking at for the tool and spraying needs I have?

Would I be better off getting one of the 24 litre compressors for the tool side of things and then one of the
Earlex Spray Station Ultimate HV3900VUK system to do my spraying with?

Help and insight appreciated
Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, the best and easiest advice I can give you is to note the CFM demand/load of the air tools you would like to use. Then buy a compressor with at least 50% more CFM output than the highest demand tool you may buy/have.

The compressor if undersized will be running constantly (and I see you are concerned about the noise) and will struggle to keep up with the demand of the air tool being used. Thus the air tool not running properly.

Watch out for what manufacturers claim as the output. Also don't be blinded by the PSI figures. Most air tools don't need much more than 90-100 PSI.

HVLP spray guns (type used with a compressor) run at about 25-55 PSI and the CFM requirements can be from 3 CFM upwards, my brother in laws DeVilbiss is about 17 CFM with his current fluid tip and air cap choice.

I don't envy you, it can be a minefield.

Good idea. I think I'll have a look and see what I can get away with.

I saw the high cfm guns when having a little browse but they are above my level and I can't see myself spraying to that degree to warrant buying the gun and compressor that goes with it l.

I think I may go with a compressor that will do tool needs and then the 3900 spray system I mentioned above. Unless I can find a compressor for 200 that will do tool needs and spraying needs.

Cheers
Mark

Mark,

Reading your post I'm not sure that you appreciate that a compressor that can deliver 100 psi can also deliver say 17 psi. Nearly all compressors are supplied with a pressure regulator and gauge so that you can regulate the pressure being delivered. Only the small compressors designed for airbrush use will not be capable of the higher pressures but that's not what you're looking for. I agree with the previous post that you should go for higher capacity than you think you need if possible. I've had half a dozen compressors of various types and always seem to end up wishing I had more capacity! In my woodwork shop at present I have the predecessor of the Axminster AWC20HP which is fine for pinning, nailing and would handle a spray gun if the gun was chosen carefully. It wouldn't drive a sander or anything that needed a greater volume of air. Lastly it pays to shop around, just like woodworking machinery many cpmpressors seem to come from the same factories these days so decide on the specification you need and look around for sales. Don't forget that most firms dealing with equipment for car enthusiasts/the car trade will have a wide choice of machines. Oh, and buy a tyre inflator if you workshop is near to where you park your car :)

Tony Comber

Mark,

Two things I should have added to my previous post before I clicked 'send'. I see you've looked at Tool Station and Screwfix, I'm sure you probably have considered them but your local Machine Mart will probably have a dozen or so different models on display. Secondly quiet compressors equal expensive compressors. Essentially you are looking for 'Bambi' (that's the leading make) type compressors and these command a premium even second hand. They are the sort of thing your dentist will have so that patients aren't frightened when it cuts in. Don't be tempted to box in your compressor to keep the noise down as they rely on air flow to keep cool, and when used for woodworking it pays to clean the sawdust off from time to time and keep the air intake filter clean.

Tony Comber

Hi Tony,
Yeah I understand how it can regulate I just wondered if it had an impact on what can run, but now after looking around and doing some research 8 bar is about standard and will run most things.

When it comes to cfm is it the free air delivery that really matters? I know a lot of them say 10 cfm but when you dive into it they are typically less.

Yeah I have since looked at axminster and machine mart (as you said they have a fair few more so been looking into them).

I saw the quiet ones and then I saw the price and then thought, I can just put ear defenders on haha.

Cheers
Mark

Mark,

Free air delivery means the output measured when the air is not having to drive a tool. This is always higher than the volume of air delivered once it is being directed into a tool. That is why you see the recommendations suggesting a greater capacity than the tools specification. If you have a lower capacity compressor it does not neccesarily mean you can't use a tool that requires more air but the compressor will probably run continuously and you will need to keep stopping whilst the tank refills. When I had my fiirst compressor I ran a random orbit sander on it which was right at the limit of the compressors output. It allowed about 30 seconds sanding followed by 2 minutes waiting for the tank to refill - not recommended.

Tony Comber

Hi All,
What are peoples thoughts on these

I like the 25 litres as they are a bit more compact and I dont have the largest amount of room.

However, I'm thinking should I save a bit more and get the 50 litre

From what I have seen most of the tools I would use need about 8cfm and from the below it seems that they state they should be able to cope with that.

I imagine I will mainly use a brad nailer, (maybe a framing nailer but just for when im framing my stud work in the extension, so may not even use one), a spray gun for small projects and maybe doing the garden fence.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/hunter-25 - 24L - 8.7cfm

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-tiger-11250-2-5hp-24-litre-air-compres - 24L - 9.5 cfm

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-tiger-11510-2-5hp-50-litre-air-compres - 50L - 9.5 cfm

Cheers
Mark

Hi Tony,

So a sander I have seen states its 4.7 cfm so the 3 above should be able to handle that quite well correct?

Cheers
Mark

Thanks for the back and forth. I have settled on the Clarke tiger models just deciding what size to get. Bonus time is coming up so will hold off as I don't need it right away.

Thanks
Mark

I bought one of these a week or so ago, http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007VOLOHG/r ... compressor

It's very quiet (compared to my older smaller compressor), has a decent specification and for the price it is hard to beat. It is quite large though and heavy, but the 3 way wheels are great. 90 litre tank, 3HP 150psi max and 14CFM, Dual Cylinder. I find it runs off a 13A plug just fine. Delivered within 2 working days (and a day before I got the despatch notification).

I wish I had bought this in the beginning rather than my smaller Machine Mart Clarke Tiger one which won't let me use a lot of air tools (25ltr, 7cfm, 110psi)

Hmm that one looks a bit too beefy for my space. Maybe something to keep in mind if I find myself moving more rewards one. At the moment I think the ones I am looking at should do me fine.

Cheers
Mark

markblue777":w3ecwtar said:

Either one of these two should do you fine. I have one of the blue ones, not sure of it's name, and it's a decent machine. I have no experience of the red ones from Machine Mart to be able to comment on.
The one Ed has linked to looks like a good deal and if the specs are true would be a great tool.
I don't know what your set up for space is, but have you thought of a little "outbuilding" for the compressor to live in. Large rabbit hutch sort of size.
You wouldn't be on top of it, so the noise won't be so bad and the compressor will have clean cooler air to work in.
Mine are all next door in the "small shed" raised up off the floor a few feet with a clear air path to feed them. Made quite a difference.

cool, na no capacity to be able to put them out side. The neighbour wined enough when we was decorating the house let alone hav ng a compressor chugging away lol

markblue777":1thjoumv said:
cool, na no capacity to be able to put them out side. The neighbour wined enough when we was decorating the house let alone hav ng a compressor chugging away lol

Shame that.
Do like I did until mine were moved and use ear plugs, the noise can get real wearing after a while.

Might be an idea to chuck some over the fence for the neighbour as well :lol:

Back